City of Corvallis, Associate Planner
SALARY: $29.21 – $37.28 Hourly
Full-time, 40 hours per week, AFSCME Represented position, 12-month probationary period
Provide a range of professional planning services to the public, City departments, the Planning Commission and City Council.
Please visit the City of Corvallis website for a detailed position description, including essential functions and requirements.
- Conducts research and makes recommendations regarding the City’s general land use studies, public facilities studies, environmental studies and/or long-range capital improvement studies and master plans.
- Assists in the preparation and/or updates of the Comprehensive Plan, facilities plans, capital improvement plans and/or other types of planning documents.
- Manages and/or conducts on-going and/or special projects. Such projects may include, but are not limited to downtown redevelopment planning, code amendments, area specific land use studies, strategic plans, master plans, wetland management, historic preservation, Land Development Information Report, etc.
- Facilitates public review, public involvement, and input opportunities in the land use and decision process.
- Manages City review of development proposals for compliance with adopted City policies and standards. Coordinates reviews with City Staff from other disciplines, as well as with appropriate staff from other local, state, and federal governmental agencies, and with private service providers.
- Prepares recommendations on development proposals; develops staff reports for the Planning Commission and City Council; and conducts public presentations. Guides applicants and citizens through the public review hearing and administrative development permit processes.
- Develops recommendations and prepares and presents reports to elected and appointed officials on the Comprehensive Plan, Land Development Code, and other ordinances and regulations.
- Responds to public requests for general information on planning regulations and procedures.
- Provides staff support to appointed boards, commissions and identified citizen groups.
- Drafts measures to implement the Comprehensive Plan (ordinances, regulations, special studies, CIP) and presents recommended actions to officials.
- Completes grant applications for various special studies involving land use planning and significant natural features within the Urban Growth Boundary.
- Conducts field inspections of development sites to:
- Ensure compliance with all planning related development requirements.
- Investigate complaints relating to land use issues.
- Assess development impact and explore alternatives and solutions to land use issues.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Public Administration, Civil Engineering, Landscape Architecture, Geography, or a related field.
- Four years experience in Urban Planning. A Master’s degree in Urban Planning or Public Administration may substitute for two years experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and ability to implement urban planning principles in the areas of land use, zoning and development review. Thorough knowledge of City codes and ordinances, public policies and legal requirements of land use planning.
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is desirable.
- Ability to function very independently on projects that have high visibility in the community and/or are debated by regulatory commissions, advisory boards, and the City Council.
- Attendance of occasional evening and/or after hours meetings required.
- Ability to travel to project development sites and conferences as needed.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment background and/or criminal history check.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified applicants must submit an online application located on the City of Corvallis website, Human Resources, Job Opportunities. Applications must be received by 5:00 PM on Friday March 31, 2017. Applications should include a cover letter and resume with the online application; however, resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed online application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted/considered.
“The City of Corvallis is Committed to Excellence in Customer Service Through its Employees.”
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer in Compliance with ADA.