City of Half Moon Bay, Associate Planner
Discover your career with The City of Half Moon Bay
A Beautiful Place l A Strong Community l A Dedicated Team
We have an opportunity for you in beautiful Half Moon Bay, California! You’ll be part of an organization that is all about collaboration, teamwork, and community. Each day, every employee of Half Moon Bay has a remarkable opportunity to enhance and improve the lives of the people who live and work here. Once you visit Half Moon Bay, you’ll quickly see why we’re all so excited about what we do – and you’ll want to join in that excitement.
Where the redwoods meet the ocean, Half Moon Bay is a unique locale with its own special charm and character. Our wonderful beaches, unsurpassed coastal beauty, and attractive, walkable downtown make it a year-round destination. Our community and neighborhoods are diverse, and our residents are fully invested in making Half Moon Bay the best it can be.
The Half Moon Bay Organization
Our team is motivated. We want to accomplish all we can on behalf of our community, and we are committed to making good things happen, together. We do this by keeping in mind the fundamentals:
- Fiscal responsibility – focused on serving the needs of the community, and supporting a positive business environment
- A healthy, safe community – seeking opportunities for affordable housing, enhancing pedestrian/bicycle/motorist safety, promoting family health and well-being, protecting the environment, and supporting sustainability
- Inclusive governance – operating in an engaged, collaborative, and responsive way, providing services in an effective, accountable, transparent, and inclusive manner, emphasizing a high level of community engagement and collaborative community partnerships, promoting diversity with emphasis on bilingual access, inclusiveness, and civic participation among our Latino population, and providing employee development that invests in staff leadership skills development
- Attention to infrastructure and environment – preserving, upgrading, and maintaining City infrastructure and facilities, maintaining the City as clean, inviting, accessible and aesthetically pleasing, incorporating green and sustainable infrastructure projects and protecting and conserving our unique coastal environment.
With those elements guiding our actions, we have achieved great success – and we expect much more in the future. We achieve, we build community, and we are inspired to work toward a better future for our City. You can be part of the great things happening in Half Moon Bay.
The Associate Planner is a critical member of the Community Development Department responsible for performing a variety of routine and complex administrative, technical and professional work in the current and/or long-range planning programs of the City related to the development and implementation of land use and related municipal plans, policies and programs.
You will report to the Planning and Development Service Manager in the recently reorganized Community Development Department that includes Planning, Building, and Code Enforcement. As the City continues its development of the Department, the new Associate Planner will assist in the development of effective structures and processes for the Planning Division, and effectively collaborate with newly hired Planning staff to form a high-performing team.
Please visit the Job Description link to view a full description of the position.
Job Description URL:
The ideal candidate is an experienced, creative, and service-oriented planning professional who has experience with coastal, environmental and/or other sensitive areas. Desirable candidates will have a proven track record of effective customer service. The ideal candidate will also have extensive experience in CEQA. Candidates with strong communication skills (both written/oral) and the ability to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization including the City’s Executive Team, City Council, Planning Commission, staff, residents, and the business community are desired.
- Retirement: PERS Classic employee receives 2% at 55; single highest year and PEPRA employee receives 2% at 62, with highest 3 years. Classic employees pay 7% employee contribution and PEPRA employees pay half the normal costs (currently 6.5%). The City of Half Moon Bay does not participate in Social Security, except the required Medicare.
- Health Insurance: Employee can choose from medical plans provided through CalPERS. Dental Insurance is available through Delta Dental and Vision coverage is available through VSP. The City provides an allowance of $1,800 per month, which can be used for medical premiums. Any unused portion may be taken as additional compensation.
- Dental and Vision premiums are paid by the employer up to family coverage.
- Other Insurance: The City provides long-term disability coverage equal to 2/3 of monthly salary to a maximum of $6,000/mo.
- Life Insurance: City provides coverage equal to 1 X annual base salary.
- Holidays: 14 paid holidays per year.
- Vacation: Accrual of 12 days annually for the first four years; increasingly periodically thereafter to 23 days annually after 21 years.
- Administrative Leave: 12 days per year. Sick Leave: Accrual at the rate of 12 days per year.
- Education Incentive: $1,500 annually for eligible expenses upon approval.
- Deferred Compensation: Voluntary participation in ICMA or CalPERS 457 plans are available.
Please apply at https://www.calopps.org/half-