MidPen Housing, Project Manager
The Project Manager is part of the Development Department, working with project teams to support the development of affordable housing communities, including the entitlement, financing, design, construction, leasing, and on-going maintenance of new construction and renovation projects. Project Managers are supervised by a Director of Housing Development or Associate Director of Housing Development and perform a variety of complex tasks involving administrative, analytical, and project management functions in a dynamic professional environment. A Project Manager must use considerable judgment and initiative to determine and effectuate the approach or action to take in non-routine situations. Responsibilities included representing MidPen to vendors and external partners, negotiating and preparing internal and external documents, creating content for competitive affordable housing and other financing applications, and managing real estate development projects in a manner that
supports the growth and consistent quality of the Development Department’s work and the affordable housing industry. Project Managers are expected to bring experience and expertise in the real estate development cycle to the position. The Project Manager is responsible for managing all aspects of the development process for new construction, acquisition and rehabilitation projects, and is responsible for ensuring the successful execution and completion of financially and operationally viable developments in a timely and cost-efficient manner.
- Due diligence for development sites, including consultant selection, review and analysis of reports, assessment of potential risks and associated costs, and recommendations for risk mitigation and next steps.
- Analyze sites for financial feasibility, program capacity, and community reception of affordable housing.
- Prepare and update financial models for potential sites and assigned projects with minimal errors and well-reasoned assumptions; structure assigned projects to be viable and competitive for current affordable housing financing
- Obtain and close financing for the development, including taking the lead in negotiations and execution
- Prepare and submit financing packages
- Clearly document loan and partnership terms for file and for approval, including internal review and incorporation of preferred terms
- Using the MidPen standard proforma, create and maintain up-to-date financial models that accurately reflect the project budget, expenses to date and anticipated, and financing plan
- Maintain accurate budget and schedule for review by the Development Directors, Vice President of Real Estate, and other internal partners.
- Ensure that the building program, financing plan, and operating budget/reserves meet MidPen standards
- Apply for and obtain required government permits and approvals
- Manage a team of design consultants through the process of obtaining planning approvals
- Manage the community acceptance process
- Manage the building permit process and secure all necessary permits
- Lead a development team, including architects, engineers, contractors, attorneys, and other consultants through the development process
- Lead the design process, adhering to MidPen’s pre-construction process and implementing the MidPen Building Guidelines
- Solicit, evaluate, negotiate, and monitor contracts using MidPen’s standard contract templates and engaging legal counsel as appropriate
- Monitor project costs, materials and schedule through construction
- Initiate and maintain coordination with all internal stakeholder departments including Property Management and Services
- Prepare, maintain, and execute a critical path project schedule, including key project milestones
- Communicate schedule and budget changes, impacts, and resulting plans in a timely and accurate manner
- Prepare reports to the Board of Directors regarding project status and requests for authorizations as necessary and in line with MidPen policies
- Represent the corporation in a professional manner in front of public bodies and at industry events
- Network with appropriate groups and individuals
Performs other assignments as requested.
- Master’s Degree in Urban Planning, Community Development, Architecture or related fields with an emphasis on real estate development, or commensurate experience
- Minimum of three years of experience in affordable housing development
- Critical thinker with the ability to solve practical problems, tackle new projects and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited information exists
- Experience securing entitlements and financing for at least one completed affordable housing development for which the person had primary responsibility during all phases of development
- Ability to read, interpret, and identify areas of corporate risk in documents such as building and zoning codes, operating, and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write reports and correspondence.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, Local and Private sources of financing for low income housing
- Demonstrated ability to communicate professionally and effectively via phone and in writing with site staff and internal partners, and external vendors, including providing direction and guidance to project teams as appropriate.
- Demonstrate good political instincts and judgment
- Ability to prepare financial feasibility analysis, conduct research and prepare narrative reports and proposals
- Ability to work in fast-moving, flexible environment and maintain priorities and project management skills, willingness to adapt to changing needs of the Development Department as new projects, tasks, and initiatives arise
- Ability to work both within a team and independently
- Ability to multi-task under pressure in order to meet competing deadlines, gather and analyze information, and solve problems skillfully and timely in a fast paced work environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Project
- Must have valid CA Driver License, current auto insurance, and reliable transportation