The APA California Chapter – Northern Section is pleased to offer the 2017-2018 Mentorship Program. This career development initiative of 230+ participants involves one-on-one mentorship matching between planners with varying levels of experience. The program aims to improve the professional practice of planning by benefiting individual practitioners at all experience levels.
- Prospective Mentorees can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org on a rolling basis to see if there are any available Mentors. The official recruitment period occurs every August through September.
- Program Overview (Download)
- Program Events (Download)
- Meeting No. 1 Guidelines (Download)
- Meeting No. 2 Guidelines (Download)
- August – September 2017: Recruitment
- October – November 2017: Individual Meeting #1
- January – February 2018: Individual Meeting #2
- April 2018: Individual Meeting #3
Contact Liz Probst, AICP, Mentorship Director, at email@example.com.
This opportunity is available to all planning students and professionals. Our goal is to provide adequate structure to facilitate meaningful relationships, while maximizing flexibility to meet the professional interests and schedules of participants. Each Mentor and Mentoree pair is welcome to customize the program to meet individual needs.
- Participants engage in one-on-one Mentor and Mentoree matching, which involves a minimum commitment of three meetings over a seven-month period.
- Handouts and e-mail templates will be distributed to participants to facilitate introductions, initiate talking points, and share professional development resources.
- Happy hour socials at the beginning of the program will be co-hosted with the Regional Activity Coordinators and/or Young Professionals Group Directors to offer additional outreach options between Mentors and Mentorees.
The level of engagement for each of the three Mentor-Mentoree meetings can be as simple or involved as time and interest permit. For each gathering, activities may include:
- Visiting at a coffee shop
- Brown-bag lunch at Mentor’s place of work
- Participation at one of the APA socials or other planning-related events
- Joint attendance at a public meeting
- Résumé and portfolio critique
- Mock interview
- Job shadowing for half a day
- Professionals with at least three years of work experience in any planning discipline.
- Each Mentor will be assigned one Mentoree. If additional Mentors are needed, participants will be individually asked if willing to advise more than one.
- Minimum commitment to meet or teleconference with your Mentee three times between October 2017 and April 2018.
- APA membership is not required.
- Typically students and young professionals with less than three years of work experience in any planning discipline. We have also accepted some mid-level professionals.
- Minimum commitment to meet or teleconference with your assigned Mentor three times between October 2017 and April 2018.
- Applicants are not guaranteed to receive a Mentor, but we’re actively recruiting a large group of participants. Priority matching will be given to second-year graduate students and recent graduates.
- APA membership is required (free for qualified students and 85% off discount for new members to join). You can sign up to be a Mentoree today, but you are required to become a member by September 30.
Last year we had 200+ participants (1/3 students and 2/3 planning professionals), that represented the following jurisdictions, firms, organizations, and universities.
- AC Transit
- Alta Planning + Design
- Associated Right of Way Services, Inc.
- Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG)
- Association of Meadowfair Community
- Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART)
- Bay Area Regional Health Inequities Initiative
- BRIDGE Housing
- California Public Finance Authority
- Callandar Associates Landscape Architecture
- Calthorpe Associates
- City of Albany
- City of American Canyon
- City of Antioch
- City of Berkeley
- City of Capitola
- City of Concord
- City of Cupertino
- City of East Palo Alto
- City of Emeryville
- City of Fairfield
- City of Half Moon Bay
- City of Lafayette
- City of Livermore
- City of Mountain View
- City of Oakland
- City of Pacific Grove
- City of Palo Alto
- City of Pinole
- City of Redwood City
- City of San Benito
- City of San Carlos
- City of San Francisco
- City of San Jose
- City of San Mateo
- City of San Pablo
- City of San Rafael
- City of Saratoga
- City of Sausalito
- City of Sunnvale
- City of Vallejo
- City of Watsonville
- Contra Costa Health Services
- County of Alameda
- County of Contra Costa
- County of San Benito
- County of San Francisco
- County of San Mateo
- County of Santa Clara
- County of Sonoma
- Dahlin Architecture and Planning
- Fehr & Peers
- First Carbon Solutions Environmental Services
- First Community Housing
- Eden Housing
- Google, Inc.
- Harder+Company Community Research
- Hart Howerton
- HDR, Inc.
- Hexagon Transportation Consultants
- HMH Engineers
- Kimley Horn
- KTGY Group, Inc.
- LSA Associates, Inc.
- Main Street Launch
- Metropolitan Planning Group (M-Group)
- MK Think
- Michael Baker International
- Mineta Transportation Institute
- Mobility Planners LLC
- Motivate International Inc.
- Neal Martin and Associates
- Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates
- Ohone College and Chabot College
- Raimi + Associates
- Reiser Building Group
- Resources for Community Development
- San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency
- San Francisco County Transportation Authority
- San Francisco State University
- San Jose State University
- San Jose Successor Agency
- San Mateo County Parks Department
- Santa Cruz County Regional Transportation Commission
- SFO Airport Commission
- Silicon Valley Community Foundation
- SITELAB Urban Studio
- Sonoma County Agricultural Preservation and Open Space District
- Sonoma County Community Development Corporation
- Sonoma State University
- Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation
- Town of Moraga
- University of California, Berkeley
- Valley Transportation Authority
- Walk San Francisco
- WeDriveU, Inc.
- 360 Design Studios
Site developed by Devin Dombrowski - Devin Dombrowski Designs