Publishing Program (Sustainability Committe)
The Sustainability Committee’s publishing program consists of the following products:
- Plan-it sustainably column in the Northern News (see below; Northern News, the archives).
- Plan-it Sustainably Journal-Blog (resources, events, ideas).
- E-Update Newsletter (see index and links below).
- Links to key articles published in the Northern News or elsewhere.
E-Update: Committee news, events, and resources
By Scott T. Edmondson, AICP
- Nov. 30, 2015, COP21 resources, UCB/APA Briefing on new UN SDGs, City of Palo Alto Climate Summit, Conference Sustainability resources.
- Sept. 30, 2015, Sustainability at the APA CA Conference-details, FRI Meet Up at Swan’s Market
- Sept. 27, 2015, The World’s New SDGs, SDG 11-Cities, Conference/Sust-Comm event and session reminder
- Sept. 16, 2015, Invitation to SustComm’s meet up event at the CA Conf., Committee leadership transition, Upcoming webinars, SCD Resources, Recent Blog Posts.
- Aug. 30, 2015, Upcoming CA Conference sustainability sessions, historic upcoming world leader adoption of UN SDGs
- March 16, 2015, NYC Looks at Passive House Technology, Urban Prototyping in SF, Measuring Urban Sustainability.
- Jan 25, 2015, Low carbon communities event, Living Community Patterns research report.
- Jan 4, 2015, Accelerating sustainability in 2015, Gil Friend, STARS, APA SCD, Strategic Sustainability Planning Class, NetPositive Conference, APA Seattle 2015.
- Dec 13, 2014, Seasons Greetings, Events, Regl/Local Sust Planning, Net Positive, Intro to Strategic Sustainability, APA CA Conf Session Proposal Invitation, ILFI’s Living Community Challenge, Regenerative Neighborhoods article, Urban Systems Planning, APA SCD (SustChampion Prog and others); Biophilic City resources; recent blog posts; range of resources.
- July 9, 2014, Event Announcement–Pacific Cities Sustainability Initiative, Cities at Risk, a panel on resiliency. Also, recent posts: APA Comp Plan accreditation, APA State Chapter sustainability.
- May 20, 2014, Upcoming Event – EcoDistricts for Practitioners Workshop–more info.
- May 12, 2014, Upcoming Event – EcoDistricts for Practitioners Workshop.
- Apirl 16, 2014, Welcome to Earth Day 2014, Support the new SCD, Biophilic City Resources.
- August 22, 2012, New Sustainability Communities Division; NASA Sustainability Base Tour; Living Building Challenge
- July 7, 2012, Welcome – Join the List; New Committee Website; Featured Resources (Strategic Sustainability, Community Sustainability, Initiatives)
Plan-it sustainably column, Northern News
By Sustainability Committee Directors, Members, & Guests (by Scott Edmondson, AICP, unless noted otherwise; for all issues: Northern News Archives)
- <<Need to update for June 2015-Nov 2015: http://norcalapa.org/about/northern-news/northern-news-archives/>>
- March 2015, Planning for low-carbon communities, p 10 (Blog version).
- Feb 2015, Living Community Patterns—Bits and Pieces of Next-Generation Urban Form? SustCommBlog).
- Dec/Jan 2015, APA’s new sustainability champion program, p 3.
- Sept 2014, A peek into the future of planning and sustainable urban development tools, p 7.
- July/Aug 2014, Testing APA’s Comp Plan Sustainability Accreditation Criteria on 11 Bay Area Cities, p. 20 (w Prof. Charisma Acey, UCB DCP).
- May 2014, Ecodistricts: from notions to actions, p 8.
- April 2014, LIZ — enchanting new urban activation, p 13 (Kate Howe).
- Dec/Jan 2014, Biophilic Urbanism on the rise, p 9.
- Sept 2013, Sustainability as a Prosperity Platform, p 23.
- July/Aug 2013, The Sustainability Committee Extends Its Reach, p. 16.
- June 2013, Sustainable Water Supply, p. 21 (Katja Irvin).
- April 2013, Model Sustainability Code Toolkit, p 9.
- Feb 2013, Outlook 2013, p 17 (also PDF version).
- Nov 2012, Innovation in the Northern Section – San Francisco takes the leading edge, p 17.
- Sept 2012, San Francisco – a partner in the biophilic cities research project, p 10-11.
- July-Aug 2012, Living Future’s Living Cities – explorations of a positive end game, p 16.
- June 2012, Ernest Callenbach’s (1920-2012) Epistle to the Ecotopians, p 16 (Katja Irvin). Also,
- Full Epistle
- ABAG/MTC’s Draft Preferred Jobs-Housing Connection Sustainable Community Strategy
- May 2012, Towards Regional Planning for Sustainable Transportation–A Call for Reform, p 12 (Katja Irvin).
- April 2012, The State of Bay Area Climate Planning, p 12 (Katja Irvin).
- March 2012, Recommendations for APA’s LA Conference, p 10 (Katja Irvin).
- Feb 2012. The Challenge of Community Ecological-Economic Sustainable Development, p 16.
- Dec 2011/Jan 2012. Got LEED for transportation? Try STARS, p 17 (Source; workshop resources).
- Nov 2011. The role of the comprehensive plan, p 12 (now published PAS Report).
- Sept 2011. A Review of PAS Report No. 565, “Assessing Sustainability: A Guide for Local Governments,” p 12, also, Northern Section-SFSU client project: Leveraging the leading edge of sustainability, July/August 2011, p 7, resources page | Women’s environmental network | The Victoria Transport Policy Institute | Universal Principles for Sustainable Cities, Freiburg, Germany.
- July/Aug 2011, Northern Section-SFSU client project: Leveraging the leading edge of sustainability, p 8.
- June 2011. Sustainability resource highlights, p 6: SPUR Report-Climate change hits home-adaptation strategies for the San Francisco Bay Area | Sustainable Community Development Code Framework | Innovative Project: Sonoma Mountain Village—One Planet, One Place Sustainability Planning Principles & Practice.
- May 2011. Innovative resources & programs, p 6:
- Earth Policy Institute,
- World on the Edge: How to Prevent Environmental and Economic Collapse, by Lester R. Brown (free PDF copy)
- Also, Plan B—Mobilizing to Save Civilization;
- Urban Leaders Adaptation Initiative,
- Architecture 2030 Challenge for Planning (carbon neutral)
- Fact Sheets for Geeks, funding sustainability:
- Earth Policy Institute,
- April 2011. Strategic sustainability: Natural capitalism and the natural step (strategies and Systems Conditions, p 22, also,Launch of the Sustainability Committee, including a summary of the Nov/Dec 2010 Membership Sustainability Survey, March 2011, p 15.
- March 2011. A Report by Katja Irvin–The Board’s New Sustainability Program, p 15.
- Nov 2010. Sustainability Planning Accelerates in the APA, p 15:
- “Sustainable Community Development Code;”
- “Reinventing Planning: A New Governance Paradigm for Managing Human Settlements,” W. Paul Farmer, FAICP, APA’s Chief Executive Officer
- APA Sustaining Places Initiative and Task Force;
- APA-Sustainable Community Planning Interest Group (and here).
Other Sustainability Articles (Northern News; elsewhere)
<<Need to update for June 2015-Nov 2015: http://norcalapa.org/about/northern-news/northern-news-archives/>>
MARCH 2015. “Sustainable Water Policy Challenges,” by Scott T. Edmondson, AICP, California Planning, March 2015, Vol. 15, Issue 02, p. 8.
SEPT 2012. Measuring Healthy Development. by Poonam Narkar, AICP, Northern News, p 13.
JUNE 2012. UC Davis Opens doors to West Village, aims to be largest Zero Net Energy facility in U.S., Republished from HUD USER, Sustainable Communities Resource Center eNews, February 2012, http://www.huduser.org/portal/sustainability/newsletter.html
NOV 2011. Sustainable in fill development—a planner/developer’s perspective, by Mark Rhoades, AICP, Northern News, p 1.
NOV 2011. Distributed renewable energy: Plan on it, By Josh Hohn, AICP, p 4.
OCT 2011. More-complete streets: Expanding the vision by integrating green streets, By Sarah Sutton, ASLA, LEED AP, and John Hykes, ASLA, Northern News, p 15.
JULY/AUG 2011. SCS–What’s the big idea? Moving toward adoption in 2013, the Bay Area Sustainable Communities Strategy will change where our cities grow, By Naphtali H. Knox, FAICP, Editor, Northern News, p 1.
MAY 2011. California Court of Appeal gives sustainable infill development an important victory, by Mark Rhoades, AICP, Northern News, p 1.
Site developed by Devin Dombrowski - Devin Dombrowski Designs