CLOSING DATE: November 02, 2014
COMPANY WEBSITE: http://www.ci.cotati.ca.us/
JOB DESCRIPTION: THE CITY OF COTATI INVITES APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF
Salary DOQ within a range of:
Associate Planner $5,477 – $6,658 per month
Assistant Planner $4,569 – $5,553 per month
Plus excellent benefits package
The City of Cotati has a vacancy in its Community Development Department. We are seeking a qualified and enthusiastic candidate to join our team.
Under the direction of the Community Development Director, the position performs professional urban planning and land use work, including current and advance planning, and implementation of the City’s General Plan; reviews zoning and development applications; presents projects to the Planning Commission; coordinates special projects.
The ideal candidate is able to work independently in the research and analysis of planning issues and the preparation of planning reports, studies and recommendations. Along with a solid understanding of principles, practices, and techniques of current and advanced planning and best practices specific to governmental agencies, ideal qualities include outstanding oral communication skills, adaptability in the work environment, and a continuous learning approach. Excellent interpersonal skills are a key for success in this position.
REPORTING TO THE COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR, THE SELECTED CANDIDATE:
• Plans, organizes, and conducts research studies; prepares reports and recommendations regarding land use, zoning regulations, urban design, population trends, transportation, community needs, and housing; prepares and reviews environmental documents in compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act; recommends the use of land for residential, commercial, industrial, and community uses.
• Reviews and processes various plans and applications for subdivision, housing, and commercial developments; reviews and processes variances, use permits, and business licenses; determines conformity with laws, regulations, policies, and procedures; recommends approval; identifies problems and analyzes alternatives; conducts project site checks; prepares recommendation reports.
• Provides information and assistance to developers, property owners, and the public regarding laws, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures related to the submission of plans, processing of applications, and implementation requirements; investigates and responds to complaints of zoning code violations; performs site inspections; communicates and coordinates with other City departments and outside agencies; coordinates the development review process on public and private projects.
• Maintains, updates, and analyzes data required for community planning; participates in the review, development, revision, and maintenance of general plan elements, environmental impact reports, plans, ordinances, and other policies and procedures.
• Researches, analyzes, and interprets social, economic, demographic, and land use data and trends.
• Coordinates preparation of meeting agendas for various commissions, boards, and community groups, including reviewing draft materials and preparing comments; organizes meetings and work sessions ensuring timely notification of appropriate parties; prepares material for the City Council, commissions, boards, and community groups; makes presentations as necessary.
• May provide work coordination and project direction for other planning personnel and contract consultants.
• Establishes positive working relationships with representatives of community organizations, state/local agencies and associations, City management and staff, and the public.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
A typical way of obtaining the required qualifications is:
One year of professional planning experience in a municipal, county, or regional planning operational
AND a bachelor’s degree in urban or regional planning, or a related field.
Two years of professional planning experience equivalent to an Assistant Planner with the City of Cotati
AND a bachelor’s degree in urban or regional planning, or a related field
Possession of a valid Class C California driver’s license at the time of hire is required.
Based on the qualifications of the applicants, the City will fill this position at either the Assistant Planner or the Associate Planner level. Candidates should indicate whether they are interested in the Assistant or Associate position, or both, on their application. All applications will be screened for completeness and possession of minimum qualifications. Qualified applications will be reviewed in detail to identify the most qualified candidates to interview. One or more selection interviews will occur during the interview process. Additional pre-employment procedures include a background check and medical examination. It is anticipated that the successful candidate will begin employment starting January, 2015 following completion of the selection process.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, candidates should complete an online application through CalOpps.org. On CalOpps, select Member Agencies, then Regional Government Services, to locate the application link for this position. Candidates must apply online through CalOpps. Do not email resumes and cover letters. You will have an opportunity to copy and paste your resume and cover letter into the CalOpps application.
Deadline to apply: Sunday, November 2, 2014 at 12:00a.m.
Apply online at: https://www.calopps.org/profile_agency.cfm?id=74
The City of Cotati is not responsible for failure of Internet forms or e-mail in submitting your application. NOTE: A comprehensive job description is available upon request to email@example.com.
• City-paid medical coverage up to fixed amounts based on level of coverage, 100% City-paid dental and vision care coverage.
• CalPERS defined benefit retirement; pension formula is dependent upon member status at time of hire. The City offers a Tier 2 formula of 2% @ 60; employees new to CalPERS will receive PEPRA formula of 2% @ 62.
• Vacation accrual of 80 hours per year; sick leave accrual of 96 hours per year.
• 12 paid holidays per year
• Deferred compensation, flexible spending accounts, and credit union membership available to employees.
• City-paid EAP, long-term disability and life insurance.
• 40 hours per week schedule; City Hall is currently closed on Fridays.
• Medicare insurance coverage; no social security.
• Access to AFLAC accident, cancer, special event, and intensive care policies.
• Health club membership available at reduced rates.
Accommodation: Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise Human Resources by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org upon submittal of application.
THE CITY OF COTATI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER