City of Milpitas, Senior PlannerView job details
CLOSING DATE: May 02, 2014
JOB DESCRIPTION: The salary range is $101,390 – $123,241 annually.
The Senior Planner position will assist the Department Director in overseeing programs; perform professional planning work of considerable difficulty in the field of urban planning; exercise direct and indirect supervision over professional, technical, and clerical staff.
This is an existing vacant position to assist the City in maintaining a superior level of service and development standards. Proven skills in development review and project management is required in addition to design review, public communication and negotiating skills.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
• Plan, organize, and supervise the work of other staff and/or programs.
• Analyze and coordinate the preparation of reports and recommendations on zoning matters, design review, housing ordinance interpretations and modifications, variances, subdivisions, and environmental review.
• Administer consultant contracts.
• Represent the Department and the City as a whole and make presentations at City Council, Planning Commission, and other public meetings.
• Coordinate planning and housing activities with other City departments and outside agencies.
• Administer processes related to the General Plan, zoning, housing, subdivision, and sign ordinances.
• Oversee the maintenance of detailed socio-economic data, relevant statistics, and division mapping; coordinate and participate in the computerization of planning statistics and records.
• Establish new systems to create Department efficiencies.
The successful candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban planning, regional planning, housing, or a related field. Experience: Five years of professional experience in the field of planning with exposure to the various specialties within the field including: current, long range, environmental, housing, and transportation. Some exposure to management of staff and/or major projects and programs is desired. A Masters Degree in Planning, Public Administration or related field is desirable.
Only online applications via CalOpps will be accepted. Visit the City of Milpitas website at www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov or www.calopps.org to apply. Copies of required certificates (if applicable), must be scanned into one document, along with a resume, and attached to your application which must be received by the filing date of: 5:00p.m., Friday, May 2, 2014. Required to respond to the supplemental questions.