Annual Salary: $92,839.50-$111,832.50 (commensurate with qualifications and experience, as evaluated against job description minimum qualifications). Hours: 37.5 per week/75 per pay period. Appointment: Fulltime, Provisional.
Applications are due by November 30, 2021
The Alameda County Planning Department is seeking a highly motivated and outgoing professional to immediately fill the vacant position of Planner III in the Department’s Policy Planning Section. With an emphasis on land use and transportation policy development, the position provides the opportunity to be a key contributor to a variety of long-range planning projects addressing complex land use, transportation, and climate-related issues at the local, countywide, and regional levels.
The Planner III position is in the Alameda County Community Development Agency’s Planning Department which has offices in Hayward. Staff is primarily working remotely at this time. The Planning Department is responsible for land use planning in the unincorporated areas of the County. The Policy Planning Section prepares and updates general plan documents, performs research to inform policy development, and collaborates with members of the public, elected officials, other county departments and other local and regional government agencies on a variety of issues. More information about our department can be found here: http://www.acgov.org/cda/planning/.
Under direction, to carry out projects in city, county and regional planning; to conduct research and develop assigned planning and zoning programs involved in the preparation, implementation, and revision of the County general plan; to prepare extensive reports, including statistical data and graphic material; and to do related work as required.
*Provisional Appointment: For a provisional appointment, a civil service exam is not required. Provisional appointments are temporary, lasting only until an examination for the position can be given. The appointment ends when the examination is completed. You do not gain tenure in the position. However, to obtain a regular position, the appointee will need to compete successfully in a County exam when open. You will earn vacation, sick leave, paid holidays and are eligible to receive medical and dental benefits.
Planner III’s are responsible for carrying out major projects in planning with little technical supervision during the course of a project. They instruct and give work direction to lower-level planners. The work of Planner III’s is assigned and reviewed by Senior Planners or Assistant Planning Directors. Positions in this class differ from those in the next lower class of Planner II in that the latter assist Planner III’s, carry out less difficult planning projects, and may be assigned full time to zoning work. Planner III’s differ from Senior Planners as Senior Planners have continuing responsibility for a major section and programs of the Planning Department and continuing supervision of professional staff.
Examples of Duties
NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Each individual in the classification does not necessarily perform all duties listed.
- Carries out major planning projects in policy planning, development planning or zoning, such as research in County growth patterns, present and future land uses and studies related to proposed changes in zoning districts; analyzes proposed site plans and subdivision plans for conformance with County planning policies.
- Determines the scope and appropriate research methods for preparing community planning projects, organizes and conducts research projects and utilizes the resulting data to develop portions of the general plan; collects and analyzes data, such as population projections, current land use, economic and social trends, physical characteristics and resources of the community and projects present and future housing, economic, transportation, educational and recreational needs of the community.
- Consults with individuals, community organizations, other County departments and public agencies regarding their specific and general interests in such matters as zoning districts, general plan development and subdivision requirements.
- Directs the preparation of, or prepares, complete and extensive plans, reports and recommendations including graphic representations and justifications for development and revision of the general plan and precise plans.
- Performs or supervises performance of drafting work such as making base maps, overlays, graphic representations of land use; and assigns and supervises the work of Planners I, Planners II, and Planning Aides as required by projects.
- Attends Planning Commission, Board of Supervisors, and other agency meetings as required; consults with a Senior Planner regarding work progress and problems and keeps informed on planning trends.
In addition to meeting the minimum qualifications stated below, the ideal candidate for this position will have strong analytical and writing skills, the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively, be organized and detail oriented, and have sensitivity to working with people of different cultural backgrounds. Specifically, the ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- Experience collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data pertaining to land use and transportation planning using appropriate methods and statistical techniques to develop long-range land use and transportation planning priorities.
- The ability to identify issues, problems, and opportunities and to choose an effective course of action for developing solutions.
- Experience and expertise prioritizing multiple assignments with competing needs and continually revising priorities as conditions change; ability to work with minimal supervision in a team environment and to handle detail-oriented work.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to collaborate and build strong relationships with a wide variety of people, cross-functional teams, and community-based organizations.
- Strong time management, project management and organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience with basic research methods; proficiency with MS Word, Excel, Teams, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
The equivalent of one year of full-time experience in the class of Planner II in the Alameda County classified service.
Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, with a major in planning or a related field such as architecture, landscape architecture, geography, urban/environmental studies, economics, sociology, public management/administration. If the Bachelor’s degree is not in a related field, major must show nexus to planning work experience.
The equivalent of three years’ full-time professional experience in city, county or regional planning.
NOTE: A Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in city, regional, urban planning or a related field, may be substituted for the equivalent of one year of the required experience. The Master’s degree in a related field must show nexus to planning work experience.
Special Requirements: Candidates may be required to possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License and may be required to drive in the performance of duties.
On an as needed basis, it may be necessary for Planners to attend night and/or weekend meetings regarding projects that they are assigned.
NOTE: The Civil Service Commission may modify the above Minimum Qualifications in the announcement of an examination.
The annual salary for this position is $92,839.50-$111,832.50 depending on qualifications and experience, as evaluated against the job description minimum qualifications. Alameda County offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that affords wide-ranging health care options to meet the different needs of a diverse workforce and their families.
HOW TO APPLY
This recruitment is for a provisional appointment. Please email a PDF of your completed County application (see instructions below) to Elizabeth.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Completion of the County application is part of the examination process.
- Your answers will determine your eligibility to participate in the next phase of the selection process.
- Clearly describe your qualifications in detail. If minimum qualifications are dependent upon education describe educational nexus, as needed.
- Do not leave any answer spaces blank; if a question does not apply, write “N/A”. (Credit cannot be given for education, training, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities that you fail to indicate).
- Please fill the application out completely, HR department does not review resumes, only the county applications.
- Although you may attach a resume to further describe your qualification, it does not substitute for completing the application form. An incomplete application form may result in disqualification. Do NOT write “see resume” in your work history.
- Failure to comply with these instructions may result in disqualification.
County Online Application Instructions
- Go to: https://jobapscloud.com/Alameda/default.asp
- Click on the Application Template link (at the top of the page, above Employment Opportunities, see image below).
- Follow the steps below based on your previous County of Alameda application experience
- If you have never completed a County of Alameda application, register as a new user and complete the entire application.
- If you have filled out a County application previously, log in and add your most recent position(s) and update other information as appropriate.
- You are required to provide a valid email address. Our staff will contact you via email and therefore without a valid email address, you will not be contacted regarding your application.
- Before submitting your application to the County of Alameda, it is your responsibility to ensure accuracy of all information submitted in the application.
- Once you’ve completed the application, select “Print My Application”, print as a PDF and email it to email@example.com. (DO NOT SELECT “SUBMIT”)