Arup is dedicated to shaping a better world. We are 14,000-person strong, global group of designers, engineers, planners and consultants, who work together to create solutions that benefit not just our clients, but also our world. We believe that great design comes out of a commitment to quality, creativity, and intensive cross-disciplinary collaboration. Arup’s culture looks a lot like the future: globally-linked, locally-focused, and radically innovative.
Turning challenges into opportunities is one of our core philosophies. In the 21st century, we face two major challenges: climate change and the exponential growth of cities. Arup is rising to these challenges by bringing together experts from a number of disciplines to ambitiously reimagine “the city.” Our mission is to develop innovations today that help ensure cities remain sustainable and resilient long into the future. Arup’s Integrated Planning team is playing a key role in this effort. Our San Francisco office has built a reputation for visionary planning and has participated in some of the Bay Area’s most notable transportation projects, including the Transbay Transit Center, the Concord Naval Weapons Station Redevelopment, and the Presidio Parkway.
We are growing our Integrated Planning team in San Francisco/Oakland. We are seeking an Urban Design leader to lead an expansion of our complete streets and station area planning work with both the planning and Civil/Site Development teams. The successful candidate will develop and implement a supplemental strategy to win additional urban design-focused, which could include master planning for key clients.
The ideal candidate will share our passion for creating great places and achieving sustainable planning outcomes that help ‘shape a better world’. The candidate should have a minimum 8 years of experience and will have a strong background and understanding of the US planning system and will be familiar with the San Francisco Bay Area and California markets.
- Conducting urban design studies at a variety of scales. Potential projects include station area plans, streetscape designs, downtown master plans, waterfront studies, site plans and site-wide master planning studies.
- Creatively and clearly conveying complex planning and design information via graphic representation, and mentoring other staff in learning these skills
- Working in partnership with other teams supporting large infrastructure projects where urban design is an important component
- Management of large, complex, long-term projects – coordinating many different people/facilities/resources etc within tight time and budget constraints
- Predicting and planning future resources
- Setting and meeting agreed budgets
- Client relations and deadlines (internal and/or external)
- Representing Arup in the industry at high levels nationally and internationally, e.g. government think tanks, national policy and international conferences
- Executing responsibilities as outlined in the firm’s Quality Management System
- Significant portions of presentations and public facilitation, including planning, leading and delivering technical information during public involvement and stakeholder meetings
- Recruitment, appraisal, performance, development, morale and motivation of specified staff
- Developing a team of urban designers with a focus on innovative technical solutions
- Contributing to the current and future overall performance of the group as part of the management team, including procuring and negotiating major contracts with customers/clients and/or suppliers/contractors
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in urban design, architecture, landscape architecture planning or related field
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in the planning sector with major project leadership experience
- Familiarity with the US planning market with a potential client portfolio.
- Expert user of design-related software, including InDesign,
- AICP Certification is preferred