THE POSITION | The City of Dublin, a dynamic and growing community, is seeking an Associate Planner to perform professional level urban planning functions. Under general direction, the Associate Planner coordinates and manages planning and development projects and provides technical assistance to the Planning Division of the City’s Community Development Department.
$8,578 – $10,725 per month
Friday, July 30, 2021 at 5:00 PM
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Serve as project coordinator on assigned planning projects.
- Perform research, analysis and evaluation of site, architectural and related plans.
- Perform technical review of routine project plans and applications and make recommendations.
- Supervise professional and non-professional staff.
- Manage consultant contracts including determining scope of work and cost.
- Prepare written project analyses and reports including identifying appropriate land use policy, design and fiscal issues and environmental requirements.
- Process development applications in accordance with local policies and ordinances; make recommendations; and enforce mitigation monitoring and compliance with City ordinances.
- Prepare and update various planning documents such as the City’s General Plan, specific plans, ordinances, resolutions, codes, and related planning studies and reports.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the City’s planning policies.
- Serve as staff liaison for various review boards, committees, Planning Commission and the City Council.
- Provide technical advice and make clear, well organized presentations on-site, off-site and at day and evening meetings.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing with internal and external customers.
- Prepare population projections for a community undergoing rapid growth.
- Provide assistance to customers over the telephone and in person, including at the Planning information counter.
- Conduct site inspections to determine if projects are in compliance with laws, regulations, conditions of approval, and ordinances; make recommendations regarding changes.
- Assist in administration and enforcement of zoning, subdivision and related ordinances.
- Exhibit a strong commitment to customer service and interactive team participation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Education: The Associate Planner requires a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in planning or a closely related field. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- Experience: This position requires a minimum of two years of professional experience in the field of city or regional planning, including project management. Computer skills are preferred.
- Licenses, Certificates and Special Requirements: Possession of a valid California Class C drivers’ license and Certificate of Automobile Insurance for Personal Liability.
- Principles and practices of planning methodology, urban development and operations.
- Principles and practices of urban, landscape and residential design, specific plans and basic land economies.
- Federal, state and local laws, regulations and court decisions relating to city planning, land use, zoning and the environment.
- Principles and practices of project management and negotiation.
- Principles and practices of research methods and statistical analysis.
- Personal computer operation and GIS applications.
- Principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
- Principles of community and public relations.
- Customer service techniques and public speaking.
- Engage in complex planning design.
- Approach complex planning issues creatively and with initiative.
- Analyze, interpret and apply technical data and pertinent laws, rules and regulations to various planning applications.
- Prepare concise reports, maps, charts and other graphic materials for effective presentations.
- Organize and conduct research studies.
- Make effective oral and written presentations.
- Assume responsibility for planning activities on multiple, diverse and complex projects.
- Demonstrate community relations skills.
- Communicate clearly and concisely orally and in writing.
- Operate a personal computer and related office equipment.
- Focus on key issues in order to accurately and objectively evaluate alternatives.
- Independently collect, analyze, interpret and apply technical data and pertinent laws, rules and regulations to various planning applications.
- Organize and schedule work cooperatively and effectively with others.
- Supervise, train and evaluate assigned personnel.
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties.
- Exhibit a positive team spirit and willingness to assist other team members.
The City of Dublin offers an attractive salary compensation and benefits plan in a professional, growth-oriented environment. The salary range for the Associate Planner position is $8,578 – $10,725 per month. The following benefits will complete the compensation package:
- Classic CalPERS Members – 2.7%@55; EPMC 0%; 7% Cost Sharing; Single Highest Year
- New CalPERS Members Tier effective 1/1/13 – 2.0%@62; 3.05 Cost Sharing; 3-Year Final Avg. Compensation
- Pay-for-Performance system available
- Choice of medical plans through PERS with the City contributing up to $1,900 per month.
- Post-retirement medical provided under Government Code Section 22892(b) as established by the Public Employees’ Medical and Hospital Care Act (PEMHCA) through CalPERS; PEMHCA Minimum.
- City-paid full family dental insurance
- City-paid single vision plan; optional family coverage
- IRS Section 125 plan/$1,000 annual account seed money (HRA)
- City-paid $50,000 term life insurance
- City-paid long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Education reimbursement program
- Wellness reimbursement program $25 per month
- Civic Service Leave (Volunteer time off) – 8 hours per fiscal year
- Fourteen paid holidays (including two floating holiday) per year.
- Administrative Time Off – 40 hours of administrative leave annually, with the option of being paid for up to 20 hours
- Approximately 22 days per year of General Leave in lieu of traditional sick & vacation leave; increases with longevity
In addition to the above benefits, the City offers voluntary participation in a deferred compensation program, short-term disability program, supplemental life insurance, Dependent Care Assistance Program, and a credit union. The City of Dublin does not participate in the Social Security system except for a mandatory Medicare.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at https://www.calopps.org/dublin/job-20135693. Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, July 30, 2021. No faxed or e-mailed applications or postmarks will be accepted.