Baird + Driskell Community Planning is seeking a motivated associate to help with a variety of policy and
planning projects in the Bay Area. You will assist with several exciting housing policy projects, providing
technical assistance and analysis for the development of housing plans and strategies, promoting
Accessory Dwelling Units, and facilitating the creation of affordable housing through land use policies
and programs. The associate will assist with research, writing and compiling informational materials, as
well as providing general assistance. Typical activities might be to summarize standards, assemble
materials about best practices or to prepare for public participation events (virtual and, when possible,
Initially, the associate will work closely with the principals at Baird + Driskell to learn about housing
policy and planning in California, but eventually will be expected to undertake much of the work
independently. The associate will primarily work remotely until it is safe to come to the office
(telecommuting is still permitted). The work schedule is somewhat flexible, and the associate will be
able to schedule some work time as they see fit (some evening work is fine). Generally, we maintain a
healthy work/life balance and do not work more than 40 hours per week, but occasionally there are
deadlines that require pushes.
• Clear and concise writing that is both technical and understandable to the general public
• Comfort collecting, analyzing and writing about basic data (demographics, housing statistics, etc.)
• Ability to use Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to present information in an attractive, easy-to-read way
• Entrepreneurial attitude and strong problem solving abilities
• Bachelor’s degree in Planning, Public Policy or related field (Master’s Degree in City Planning or
related field preferred; or equivalent work experience)
• Graphic design sense and familiarity with Adobe Design Suite (Photoshop, InDesign)
• Knowledge of housing planning and policy
About Baird + Driskell: Baird + Driskell Community Planning is a small practice specializing in housing
policy, public participation, strategic planning, community design, land use and sustainability planning.
We work closely with our clients, and in many cases serve as an extension of their staff to best tailor our
products to their use. More information is available at www.bdplanning.com.
Compensation: We are open to hiring someone on an hourly or salaried basis. Please let us know your
preference. The compensation for full time is $70,000-$80,000 (depending on experience) plus benefits.
Expected Schedule: August 18th Final deadline to apply
Week of Aug 24th Interviews
Week of Aug 31st Hiring decision (w/ start date of approx. Sept 8)
How to Apply: Email a cover letter, resume and writing sample, saved as pdfs, to Joshua Abrams at
email@example.com. No calls please.