C/CAG PROGRAM DIRECTOR | City/County Association of Governments of San Mateo County (C/CAG) | $11,972 – $14,966 / Month
The City/County Association of Governments of San Mateo County (C/CAG), a Joint Powers Authority, is seeking qualified applicants for the position of C/CAG Program Director. Under the direction of the Executive Director, the C/CAG Program Director plans, organizes, directs, and coordinates activities and programs related to transportation and mobility, balanced growth, and climate resiliency for the County.
This management position will:
- Provide technical and administrative support C/CAG on transportation and related issues.
- Coordinate projects with the cities and towns within San Mateo County and the County, as well as outside agencies.
- Manage budgets related to all assigned projects and programs.
- Design standard work processes and office policies and procedures.
- Develop and execute C/CAG plans and objectives.
- Exercise leadership of diverse professional, technical, and clerical staff through subordinate management and/or supervisory personnel.
- Coordinate activities with all 21 local jurisdictions, as well as other transportation agencies in the County, the Bay Area region, and the State.
The ideal candidate will have five years of managerial experience ideally in transportation or a related field, will have experience in city or regional planning, and will have familiarity with transportation policies. The ideal candidate will also have experience with funding management and will have knowledge of governmental procurement principles and experience with contract negotiation, preparation, and administration. In addition, the ideal candidate will have knowledge of and experience with the state legislative process.
The successful candidate will be:
- A collaborator who can work effectively and positively with a variety of stakeholders.
- Quick and clear thinking, calm under pressure, and tactful in resolving issues.
- Approachable and politically astute with a management style that quickly fosters trust, loyalty, respect, commitment, and partnership from the community, county managers, and Regional/State/Federal agencies.
- A strong financial manager that also has the knowledge and ability to identify, pursue, and secure potential funding sources for C/CAG programs.
- An experienced manager with a sound understanding of the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, the Association of Bay Area Governments, the California Department of Transportation, Congestion Management Agencies, transportation programming, processes, and funding, and local land use and housing planning.
- An effective speaker to diverse audiences, including the Board, and professional, civic, legislative, and citizen groups.
- A relationship builder who can effectively represent C/CAG to other departments, agencies, public bodies, Regional/State/Federal agencies, and the California Legislature.
The City/County Association of Governments of San Mateo County (C/CAG) is a joint powers agency whose members include the County of San Mateo and the twenty (20) incorporated cities and towns within San Mateo County. C/CAG is governed by a 21-member Board of Directors and is advised by nine standing committees. C/CAG is the designated Congestion Management Agency (CMA) in San Mateo County, also known as the County Transportation Agency (CTA), the Airport Land Use Commission, and the Countywide Stormwater Pollution Prevention Program Manager.
C/CAG was initially formed to address common issues among members, to adopt and implement state mandated countywide plans and programs, including Congestion Management, Airport Land Use Compatibility, and integrated solid waste management. Over time, it has evolved to address several additional issues that affect the quality of life of the community, including transportation planning and sustainable communities, stormwater runoff, transportation/housing linkage, and climate change. C/CAG provides a unique forum for the cities and the County to collaborate on common issues and develop cost-effective solutions.
C/CAG serves the people of San Mateo County by partnering with state, regional, and local agencies and by building relationships with community-based organizations, non-profits, and advocacy organizations to understand community needs and challenges.
C/CAG responsibilities include the following functions and Countywide plans:
- Allocation of State and Federal transportation funds to cities, the County, and other agencies
- State Legislative Advocacy
- Congestion Management Plan
- Countywide Transportation Plan
- Countywide Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan
- Comprehensive Airport Land Use Compatibility Plans
- San Mateo Congestion Relief Plan
- Integrated Countywide Waste Management Plan Review
- Clean Air (TFCA) Expenditure Program for San Mateo County
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Program
- Environmental/Transportation (Motor Vehicle Fees) Program
- San Mateo County Energy Watch
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is five years of increasingly responsible managerial experience preferably in the transportation field.
FINAL FILING DATE: This recruitment is a continuous recruitment. The recruitment will be open until the position is filled. The first reading/screening of applications will begin on August 3, 2021. We encourage you to apply for this exciting and important position before August 3 to be considered in the first round of application screenings and interviews.
To learn more about the position and to apply online, please visit our website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanmateo/jobs/3147403-0/c-cag-program-director-unclassified-open. Applications are only accepted online. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire. EOE