The Citywide Public Space Initiative (CSPI) Planner position is a temporary Planner I position within the City Design Group; an interdisciplinary team of urban designers, architects and landscape architects housed within the Planning Department’s Citywide (Long-Range) Planning Division.
Under general supervision, the CSPI Planner I will assist with implementation of the Citywide Public Space Initiative, a partnership between City agencies and community organizations to facilitate near-term activation, beautification and community engagement in targeted public spaces across the City. High priority sites for fiscal year 2020-21 may include United Nations Plaza in Civic Center, Hallidie Plaza in Union Square, 16th and Mission BART Plazas, and others to-be-determined. The CSPI Planner I will provide planning and activation assistance for:
- Public space assessments of the conditions of priority public spaces, in order to document recommendations for near-term improvement;
- Planning and partnership development for high priority sites/projects; and,
- Project and permit coordination via a City working group for high priority sites/projects
In addition to the CSPI, the Planner I will also assist with on-going implementation of the Civic Center Initiative, a public private partnership program focused on improving conditions in San Francisco’s Civic Center’s public spaces. Undertaken in close partnership with the Civic Center Community Benefit District, the initiative includes a portfolio of temporary projects and programming aimed at improving the public realm for the diverse communities that rely on Civic Center as their primary neighborhood open space.
Finally, the CSPI Planner I will assist with graphic design and materials production and community engagement efforts for a variety of urban design and planning projects within the Citywide Planning Division. The successful candidate will possess strong values that align with the City’s values, which include being welcoming, having integrity, showing accountability, and demonstrating a commitment to service. Additionally, the ideal candidate is a highly-organized individual with strong graphic design, written and oral communication skills who can thrive in a fast-paced, high-pressure, deadline-driven work environment. Key competency and task areas include: Urban Design/Planning: The CSPI Planner I should have a working knowledge of long-range urban design and planning concepts and processes, and the ability to connect design and public outreach processes between long-range and
- Urban Design/Planning: The CSPI Planner I should have a working knowledge of long-range urban design and planning concepts and processes, and the ability to connect design and public outreach processes between long-range and interim-design projects.
- Project Management: The CSPI Planner I will assist with project management for a diverse portfolio of activation, interim-design, and programming projects and will be involved in project development, coordination with partner agencies, permitting, design, stakeholder engagement, and stewardship partnerships.
- Partnership Development: The CSPI Planner I must work collaboratively with existing and new partners to advance the Initiative’s goals.
- Graphic Design: The CSPI Planner I will be responsible for production of public-facing graphic materials such as one-sheets, reports, informational display boards, signs, and base maps and should be fluent in Adobe software programs.
1. Possession of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in city, regional, or urban planning, or a closely related field such as architecture, landscape architecture, geography, urban studies, public administration, historical preservation, or environmental studies; OR
2. Possession of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; AND one (1) year of city or urban planning, transportation, urban design, historical preservation, architectural or environmental review experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process.
Visit: [https://www.jobapscloud.com/SF/sup/bulpreview.asp?R1=TEX&R2=5277&R3=104052] to register an account and
to view this complete job announcement for application submission requirements.