The City of Alameda invites applications for the position of Supervising Planner.
SALARY: $106,893.00 – $129,930.00 Annually
DEPARTMENT: Planning, Building, & Transportation
CLOSING DATE: 10/25/21 05:00 PM
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Salary is based on working a 4 day, 36 hour full-time work schedule.
The City of Alameda is seeking a seasoned professional to assume the role of Supervising Planner in the Planning, Building and Transportation Department. Under general direction, supervises and manages professional, technical, and support staff; participates in the coordination, administration and management of planning division functions; coordinates and participates in the more difficult analysis of various planning activities; manages complex planning projects; performs other related work as required.
This supervisory and managerial class is the fourth level in the professional planning series. Supervising Planner differs from Planner I/II/III in that incumbents of the former have responsibility for formulating and administering City policies or programs as well as being responsible for full supervision and management of assigned professional, technical, and support staff.
This position is located in the Planning Division, which is one of three divisions supporting the Permit Center. This is an exciting time to join the Alameda Planning Division as we are about to complete the comprehensive Alameda 2040 General Plan update and begin the Housing Element Update for the next planning period. There are also a number of important development projects under consideration or in the pipeline.
Benefits of Employment
For a comprehensive listing of benefits, see the Benefit Matrix here.
- Four day, 36 hour work week (typically Monday through Thursday)
- CalPERS Retirement: Classic Members: 2% at 55 formula, 8.868% contribution; New Members 2% @ 62 formula, 8.25% contribution.
- Medical: The City contracts with CalPERS to provide comprehensive health coverage to employees. Multiple HMO and PPO plans available, 4 fully covered, at all levels, by the City contribution
- Dental: Comprehensive dental coverage provided to employees and their eligible dependents.
- Vacation: Starting with 75 hours annually and increasing with years of service.
- Holidays: 10 City Holidays and 3.5 floating Holidays.
- Sick Leave: 12 days per year; unused sick leave is converted to service credit at retirement.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Plans and organizes work in major functional planning areas such as current or advance planning, environmental review, code compliance, historic preservation, research and evaluation.
- Prepares and/or coordinates preparation of proposed plans, plan revisions, ordinances and other recommendations involving planning objectives; assists in coordinating the development, maintenance and implementation of the general plan; conducts comprehensive housing, transportation, environmental and land use planning.
- Makes recommendations and may make decisions regarding land use and zoning matters.
- Prepares complex technical reports, responses, and position statements with respect to planning ordinances, regulations and policies; makes presentations to the City Council, Planning Board, Historical Advisory Board and other boards, commissions, community groups, and governmental bodies; serves as secretary to various boards and commissions as assigned.
- Maintains knowledge of planning trends including legislation, court rulings and professional practices and techniques; prepares related policy and procedural recommendations.
- Processes and/or monitors complex projects through the permit process; performs specialized and complex aspects of planning projects.
- Coordinates with other City departments and other planning agencies on matters relating to assigned planning programs; coordinates and directs the work of consultants engaged in planning and related activities; oversees the work of staff as assigned.
- May coordinate preparation of and/or prepare environmental review documents in compliance with applicable State and Federal requirements for development proposals and City projects; evaluates and reviews various environmental reports and publications.
- May assist in budget preparation and administration.
- Supervises subordinate planning and support staff, including: prioritizing and assigning work, training, editing documents prepared by subordinate staff, and general review of work performed by the team under supervision, conducting performance evaluations, may make hiring, termination and disciplinary recommendations, as directed.
Any combination equivalent to education and experience likely to provide the required knowledge and abilities. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Graduation from an accredited four year college or university with major course work in city or regional planning, urban design, or related field.
Four years of progressively responsible professional municipal planning experience at least 2 years of which shall have been in a supervisory, senior or lead capacity.
Knowledge of municipal planning principles and practices including current and advanced planning, zoning, code compliance, environmental review, historic preservation, and design review; land use, physical design, demographics, CEQA/NEPA, social and economic concepts; applicable laws and code provisions; municipal government organization and operations. Knowledge of principles of supervision, team leadership and project management best practices. Principles and techniques involved in the development and maintenance of a comprehensive General Plan, specific plans, and community plans. Principles and techniques involved in the development and maintenance of the Zoning Ordinance, Sign Ordinance, CEQA, and Historic Preservation Ordinance. Nomenclature, symbols, methods, practices, techniques, and instruments used in planning, drafting, and mapping. Knowledge of principles of computer-based information systems and software such as Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat PDF viewer/editor, graphics/presentation programs, and geographic information systems.
FOR THE FULL JOB ANNOUNCEMENT, SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE AND TO APPLY, PLEASE VISIT: