The City of Concord’s Community and Economic Development Department is searching for their next Planning Manager. The future incumbent possesses outstanding people and project management skills. There is currently one vacancy.
The ideal candidate will be someone who nurtures growth and progress of the staff within the department, reinforces accountability, and addresses personnel problems quickly and effectively. The ideal candidate will also be capable of directly and indirectly managing the implementation of large, complex projects in partnership with all whom are impacted. The future incumbent will have a strong understanding of the government decision making process, particularly in the area of land use and CEQA.
The ideal candidate will set and maintain high standards of conduct for themselves, the Division, the Department and the City. The will be willing to make tough decisions with the emphasis on what is consistent with the City’s Mission, Vision and Values.
1. Submit a completed City of Concord application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.cityofconcord.org by 5:00 p.m., Friday, November 30, 2018. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
2. All qualified applications and supplemental responses will be competitively evaluated, and those candidates demonstrating the strongest qualifications for the position will be invited to participate in a written exercise and panel interview, which is currently scheduled for Tuesday, December 11, 2018. If you are selected to participate in the written exercise/interview process and are unavailable, we regret that we will not be able to reschedule.
3. Successful candidates will be placed on the hiring list, based on rank, for further consideration to fill the current regular vacancy, as well as others occurring over the next 12 months.
IMPORTANT: Contact with candidates will primarily be via email. Make sure you list a current email that you check regularly on your application.
Administers activities of the Planning and Housing Divisions; provides key direction to current and long range planning staff on a variety of tasks and projects. Collaborates frequently with other division managers in the Community and Economic Development Department and other departments throughout the organization. Supervises assigned personnel and coordinates the development of reports and recommendations regarding significant land use and community development issues. May serve as Acting Director of Community and Economic Development. Performs related and other work as required all within the context of the City’s Mission of providing responsive, cost effective, and innovative local government services through a collaborative effort with the community to make Concord a city of the highest quality.
Equipment, Methods & Guidelines
Uses Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, and procedures and principles of planning. Uses City vehicles, telephones, and [delete] equipment, and computer system.
Work is conducted primarily in an office setting, but includes visits to study areas and proposed development sites. It also involves some out of town travel and frequent attendance at meetings, including many that are conducted on weekends or during the evening. May also involve occasional irregular hours.
Emphasize speech, hearing, vision, and stamina associated with attendance [delete] at evening meetings following a normal workday.
Supervisory Guidance Received/Given
Reports to the Director of Community and Economic Development, who collaborates with incumbent to develop the scope and objectives of assigned projects. Supervision received is characterized by general administrative support and guidance, rather than direct control over methods, programs or objectives. The incumbent has internal control over program activities and provides fiscal oversight for program budgets. Exercises independence in developing and meeting program goals and objectives. Progress, results and project status is reviewed each trimester. Directly trains and supervises professional staff who, in turn, exercise some independence in their assignments.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
1. Plans, organizes, and directs the work of staff which includes: developing plans conforming to laws/regulations/standards, administering compliance with development permits, and overseeing other activities of the Planning and Housing Divisions.
2. Administers specialized City programs, including those that are grant supported.
3. Represents City interests regarding plans, designs, programs, or major projects in discussions and coordination with the public, special interest groups, and other governmental agencies; coordinates activities with other City work units; acts to clarify and interpret ordinances, policies, procedures, alternatives, and solutions.
4. Renders professional and managerial advice and decisions regarding short and long-term program goals, personnel assignments, work priorities, and resource needs; ensures that objectives are accomplished within authorized budget allocations.
5. As assigned, represents the City before the City Planning Commission, City Council, Design Review Board, developers, citizens’ groups, and other organizations.
6. Serves as Secretary to the Planning Commission, and renders decisions on land use permit applications as the City’s Zoning Administrator
7. Coordinates the planning and housing division functions with other Permit Center managers regarding permitting procedures and processes.
8. Confers with the Department Head and various public groups, other agencies, and utilities regarding issues, alternatives, proposals, priorities, and operating problems.
9. Determines, recommends, and justifies goals of assigned programs and related financial and personnel resource needs; is responsible for accomplishment of goals; and accounts for the effective use of all resources within authorized allocations.
10. Applies Federal, State, and local laws, policies, procedures, regulations, and rules pertaining to the work and to the work group; prepares work appraisals and discusses performance evaluations; and initiates official disciplinary actions as necessary; identifies and/or resolves subordinate complaints.
11. Coordinates the division’s activities with other City work units, other agencies and City goals; ensuring understanding of the division’s roles, capabilities, and limitations.
12. As assigned, assumes the responsibilities as head of the Community and Economic Development Department.
13. Promotes the City’s Mission to make Concord a city of the highest quality by providing responsive, cost-effective, and innovative government services; understands and subscribes to the Vision and Values Statement adopted by the City.
14. Performs other work as assigned.
Knowledge and Abilities
Considerable working knowledge of the objectives, principles, procedures, standards, practices, and trends in the field of planning and housing; of relevant land use, physical design, economic, environmental, and social concepts; of relevant mathematical concepts, including statistics and statistical analysis; of alternative processes and procedures used for modifying ordinances, policies, procedures, standards, and practices associated with the Planning and Housing functions; of relevant Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, and procedures; of the terminology, symbols, methods, and techniques used in Planning and Housing administration; of common reference sources used in the work; of government organizations and intergovernmental relations; and of the functions and practices of City and other governmental work units with which coordination is required. General knowledge of the principles of effective supervision and training.
Knowledge of principles and practices of public administration, including finance, budgeting and accounting; residential construction, rehabilitation and financing; building code enforcement; policy development processes and implementation approaches; principles, practices and techniques used in real estate and property management; applicable federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations regarding housing program administration; principles of organization, administration, budget and personnel management.
Ability to perform varied and responsible assignments with considerable independence, initiative, and judgment; to effectively supervise, coordinate, and review the work of various Planning and Housing staff; to perform original research, including the collection, analysis, and preparation of reports and recommendations pertaining to complex issues; to accurately interpret laws, ordinances, regulations, maps, specifications, site and building plans, graphs, and statistical data; to direct the preparation of visual displays, such as maps, graphs, and illustrations; to communicate effectively orally and in writing; to issue clear oral and written direction; and to establish and maintain cooperative and effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Any combination equivalent to the experience and education that would likely provide the relevant knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Urban Studies, City and Regional Planning, Environmental Planning, Public Administration, or a related field. A Master’s degree in a related field and an American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification are both highly desirable.
Experience: Six (6) years of extensive, increasingly responsible professional planning and administrative experience, including four (4) years of experience supervising Planning and/or Housing staff involved in the development and administration of programs and the provision of services.
SALARY: $61.06 – $83.95 Hourly
$10,583.73 – $14,551.33 Monthly
$127,004.80 – $174,616.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 10/30/18
CLOSING DATE: 11/30/18 05:00 PM
***OPEN & PROMOTIONAL JOB OPPORTUNITY***
A California Driver’s License and a satisfactory driving record are conditions of initial and continued employment.
To apply: http://apptrkr.com/1326878