THE POSITION | The City of Dublin, a dynamic and growing community, is seeking an Assistant Planner to perform entry-level current and advanced planning functions. Under general direction, the Assistant Planner performs responsible planning tasks and provides technical assistance to the Planning Division of the City’s Community Development Department. This position will provide valuable experience and offer career development potential to the successful candidate.
$43.8315 – $54.7760 per hour
Friday, July 30, 2021 by 5:00 PM
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Provide public counter assistance and respond to inquiries from applicants, the general public and other governmental agencies.
- Perform field investigations and office tasks associated with enforcement of zoning, signing and related municipal regulations.
- Review building plans for conformity to zoning and subdivision ordinances.
- Interpret and apply pertinent laws and regulations to planning projects.
- Assist in the enforcement and administration of zoning, and other related ordinances.
- Assist in reviewing and analyzing various planning applications and with the preparation of reports for policy decisions.
- Assist in compiling and analyzing statistical, economic and other data relating to planning and environmental matters.
- Organize and conduct research studies.
- Assist in preparing elements and revisions to the General Plan consistent with local needs.
- Prepare and present oral and written reports and recommendations.
- Attend meetings of the Planning Commission, City Council and other citizen boards or committees as required.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Education: The position requires a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Planning or closely related field.
- Experience: One year of professional experience in the field of city or regional planning or closely related field, preferably with a public agency. A Master’s degree in planning or a closely related field may be substituted for six months of required experience.
- Licenses, Certificates: Possession of a valid California Class C drivers’ license and Certificate of Automobile Insurance for Personal Liability.
- Theory, principles, practices and trends of city planning.
- Research methods as they apply to the collection, tabulation and analysis of data affecting city planning.
- Federal, state and local laws and regulations relating to municipal planning, zoning and subdivision regulations.
- Statistical analysis as applied to land use, zoning, general plan and transportation studies.
- Government organizations, transportation, communications, public utility systems and landscape architecture as they relate to city planning.
- Communicate effectively.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Prepare and present comprehensive but succinct written and oral reports.
- Make effective presentations in public meetings.
- Compile and analyze statistical, economic and related data pertaining to environmental and planning matters.
- Interpret and apply laws and regulations.
The City of Dublin offers an attractive salary compensation and benefits plan in a professional, growth-oriented environment. The salary range for the Assistant Planner position is $4.8315 – $54.7760 per hour ($7,597 – $9,495 per month). The following benefits will complete the compensation package:
- Classic CalPERS Members – 2.7%@55; EPMC 0%; 7% Cost Sharing; Single Highest Year
- New CalPERS Members Tier effective 1/1/13 – 2.0%@62; 3.05 Cost Sharing; 3-Year Final Avg. Compensation
- Pay-for-Performance system available
- Choice of medical plans through PERS with the City contributing up to $1,900.00 per month
- Post-retirement medical provided under Government Code Section 22892(b) as established by the Public Employees’ Medical and Hospital Care Act (PEMHCA) through CalPERS; PEMHCA Minimum.
- City-paid full family dental insurance
- City-paid single vision plan; optional family coverage
- IRS Section 125 plan/$1,000 annual account seed money (HRA)
- City-paid $50,000 term life insurance
- City-paid long-term disability insurance
- Wellness reimbursement program $25 per month
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Education reimbursement program
- Fourteen paid holidays (including two floating holidays) per year
- Approximately 22 days per year of General Leave in lieu of traditional sick & vacation leave; increases with longevity
In addition to the above benefits, the City offers voluntary participation in a deferred compensation program, short-term disability program, supplemental life insurance, Dependent Care Assistance Program, and a credit union. The City of Dublin does not participate in the Social Security system except for mandatory Medicare.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at https://www.calopps.org/dublin/job-20135683. Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, July 30, 2021. No faxed or e-mailed applications or postmarks will be accepted.