SALARY: $11,124 -$ 13,907 per month plus excellent benefits
DESCRIPTION: This is an exciting career opportunity to serve as a key team member of a progressive organization in a community where high-quality growth and superior customer services are the norm. Under administrative direction of the Community Development Director, the Planning Manager plans, organizes and directs the activities and programs of the Planning Division including zoning, code enforcement, processing of permits, subdivisions, and environmental review, administration, participates in the transportation and capital improvement planning, housing programs, and the general plan.
KEY ELEMENTS: The following duties are normal for this classification. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
- Plans, organizes, directs and coordinates all Planning Division activities including advance and current planning and code enforcement activities; prepares and administers the Division budget.
- Assists in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for the Division to assure the efficient and effective operation of the Planning Division.
- Hires, supervises, trains and evaluates Planning Division personnel; interprets City policies and procedures to employees; is responsible for morale and productivity of assigned staff.
- Manages consultant contracts for the Division and the work performed by consulting contract staff.
- Develops operational policies and procedures to ensure effective departmental operation and provides for continuous improvement of the Planning Division.
- Reviews community growth patterns, trends in land use, community needs and other factors in originating recommendations for controlling and regulating community development.
- Establishes systems to ensure consistency within the Division.
- Functions as a Project Manager on highly complex Planning Division projects; prepares complex reports, letters and newsletters.
- Makes presentations to the City Council, Planning Commission and other groups; explains Division policies to the public and developers; may conduct general administrative projects concerning matters outside the scope of the Planning function.
- Develops and implements Division goals, objectives, policies and priorities.
- Confers with and provides professional assistance to members of City departments on matters related to functional areas of responsibility.
- Establishes and maintains liaisons with appropriate government bodies, private firms, organizations or individuals to assist in achieving City objectives and ensuring compliance with appropriate laws and development standards.
- Meets with representatives, professionals, citizens and organizations to encourage action or resolve problems related to the Division’s activities and projects; and effectively provides training and direction consistent with the City’s commitment to exceptional customer service.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Education: Graduation from a four-year college or university with major course work in city or regional planning, urban planning, or a closely related field. A Master’s degree in a related field is preferred
- Experience: Five years of progressively responsible, professional level experience in current and advanced planning which includes at least two years of supervisory experience. Local government, large-scale development and planned growth management experience is highly desirable.
- Licenses, Certificates: Possession of a valid California Class C drivers’ license and Certificate of Automobile Insurance for Personal Liability
- Special Requirements: Must have the willingness and ability to: work the hours necessary to accomplish the assigned duties, including evening and week-end hours; attend evening meetings; travel out of town and attend workshops, conferences, seminars during work and non-work hours.
Filing Deadline: You must submit your application by January 15, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. online at https://www.calopps.org/dublin/job-19398031.
Please visit http://dublin.ca.gov/1759/Current-Opportunities to view a complete job description.