City of Gilroy is recruiting for the position of Planning Division Manager. The goal of the Community Development Department is to effectively and efficiently manage the development goals of the city while creating an environment that encourages business expansion and development consistent with the city’s guiding documents. The Planning Division Manager for the City of Gilroy needs to have a broad depth and breadth of related experience and the desire and ability to engage and embrace the common goal of a high-quality livable city that through proper planning can meet the diverse needs of the Gilroy community.
Under the general supervision of the Community Development Director, direct, plan, supervise, and coordinate the work of the Planning Division. The Planning Division includes the Planning, Housing & Community Development Block Grant, and Code Enforcement Sections.
The Ideal Candidate will:
- Be extremely well versed in contemporary approaches to land use planning and development, including a strong understanding of the government decision making process, particularly in the area of land use and CEQA.
- Display strong leadership capabilities and exceptional customer service skills.
- Take initiative and action using good judgment and decision making.
- Have a reputation for utilizing a proactive, flexible, solutions-oriented approach to planning and housing matters by anticipating issues and seeking workable and creative resolutions to them.
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to explain technical information in a manner that the City Council, public, development community, employees, consultants, professional and technical groups, and other governmental agency representatives can understand.
- Be a person who values the important role of both planning and housing in economic development and a thriving community with a high quality of life.
- Display and instill the value of high ethics in day-to-day decision making.
- Adapt flexibly to change and effectively facilitate the change within the Division.
- Have outstanding people and project management skills, to include large, complex projects.
- Have a sense of humor and humility.
- Have a positive presence and “can-do” attitude, along with a work style that supports teamwork, collaboration and positive relationships that will support and compliment the City of Gilroy environment and customer service goals.
- Have strong computer skills and technology savvy to provide support and assistance to various technology initiatives.
- Working closely with an outside consultant, coordinate and manage the creation of the new Gilroy General Plan, Zoning Ordinance Update and Master Plans.
- Support and encourage economic development in all processes including the entitlement process, business retention and expansion, collaboration with organizations and business owners, and learning and using innovative ideas for economic development.
- Implement process improvements that reduce processing time for planning applications and environmental clearance.
- Work with the Public Works Department and a consultant to design a customer and staff user friendly and functional work space for a one stop shop including the relocation of Planning Division staff to the City Hall Annex.
- Provide technical and project management assistance to the Deputy Director and consultant for the Land Management Software needs analysis, RFQ-RFP and implementation.
- Assist the Public Works Department in the needs analysis, RFQ-RFP for a Geographic Information System to support the Land Management Software, including staff and the public’s information needs.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited College or University with major coursework in urban planning or a related field considered useful in City planning. A Master’s degree is highly desirable and may be substituted for one year of the required professional planning experience.
- Five years of professional-level experience in the field of urban planning and zoning administration, including at least two years in a supervisory capacity.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity please attach and submit the following required items with your NEOGOV application:
- A completed City of Gilroy employment application including complete supplemental question responses
- A detailed resume that highlights your related skills and experience
- A cover letter that explains your specific interest in the Planning Division Manager position with the City of Gilroy
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit online. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the “Apply” link. After viewing the Job Description, click the ‘Apply’ tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
|Recruitment Schedule – Key Dates*|
|Application Closing Date: Friday, February 22, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
Interview and Practical Test: Friday, March 15, 2019
Finalist Interviews: Week of March 18, 2019
|(*Note: The examination process/schedule may be changed as needed by the City.)|
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.