$5,289.83 – $6,606.25 monthly plus excellent benefits
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE:
Monday, November 19, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
The City of Gilroy is recruiting for a Planning Technician position in the Community Development Department, Planning Division. The goal of the Community Development Department is to provide current and long term community planning services in conformance with the Gilroy General Plan and direction of the City Council, to enhance the design and livability of residential neighborhoods, commercial areas, and industrial zones within the city’s urban sphere, and to promote sustainable development.
Under general supervision of the Planning Division Manager, provides paraprofessional, technical and support assistance in the development and implementation of planning division activities. Provides land use and planning information and assistance to developers, the business community, and the public. Assists City boards, commissions and committees. Provides responsible, varied, and office administrative assistance for department associated supervisory and professional staff members.
The Ideal Candidate will:
- Have exceptional customer service experience with prior work experience successfully supporting customers in a fast-paced and demanding environment requiring the ability to effectively interpret and consistently apply local/State/federal standards and policies to a variety of customers.
- Have the ability to apply established policies and procedure
- Ability to communicate complex land use regulations with all levels of customers from first time builder to the seasoned contractor
- Multi-task proficiently.
- Be highly organized and detail oriented with good time management skills and the ability to handle a variety of assignments and deadlines, to include administrative, technical and para-professional work.
- Punctuality is required in this position with an 8:00 a.m. start time, Monday-Friday and ready to provide customer service.
- Be enthusiastic in the work environment with the ability to learn and excel as they become a progressively responsible Planning Division team member.
- Prefer and value working in a team environment. This member must be able to work cohesively with the group and maintain consistency with the Divisions’ implementation of regulations and policies.
- Present a professional and positive image for the Community Development Department
- Public Planning Counter Assistance: answer public inquiries, greet customers
- Process over-the-counter permits (such as Business License Reviews, Home Occupation Permits, Building Permits, Sign Permits, Application Intake & Distribution).
- Process Administrative Planning Permits (such as hillside homes and remodels).
- Maintain current project list and Home Occupation Permit approvals on a monthly basis.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Transcribe and compose correspondence, documents, minutes, reports, forms and /or data from rough notes, recordings, dictation and/or oral instruction
- Prepare public information materials, meeting agendas and public hearing notices; assist with the preparation of staff reports for development proposals; prepare reports, charts and other materials necessary to accomplish departmental goals
- Perform basic calculations such as those required for plan checks and for tabulating statistical data;
- Assist in gathering and tabulating data on population, land use, and design criteria as needed
- Prepare and update zoning maps, land use maps, and other related graphics based upon data obtained from public records and staff direction
- Establish and maintain the Planning Division files; perform clerical duties in support of assigned functions. May research files and records for various departments or the public.
- Greet the public at the counter in a courteous and professional manner while providing customer service information in response to citizen, developer and general public requests concerning planning applications, zoning and fee requirements, departmental and City regulations, policies and procedure
- Initial review of applications for zoning variances, use permits, site approvals, etc.
- Investigate complaints or inquiries regarding planning or zoning matters and follow up as require
- Review preliminary designs and building plans and specifications for environmental and zoning
- Establish and maintain appointment calendars and tickler files; assist in a variety of departmental operations; perform special projects and assignments as requested
- Make necessary arrangements for seminars and meetings, dinners and receptions, notifying participants and follow-up as require May assist with travel arrangements as required.
- Answer telephone; provide information in response to inquiries, directing calls as needed, in a courteous and professional business manner
- Make outgoing calls as necessary, including, but not limited to returning calls, requesting information, and performing telephone surveys.
- Design, prepare, and assemble a variety of forms, folders, agendas, packets, brochures, fliers and announcements, and arrange for distribution.
- Attend meetings as directed, and may record and transcribe summary minutes. May forward pertinent information to department staff.
- Operate any of a wide variety of common office machines including telephone, typewriter, calculator, or adding machine, postage meter and scale, copier, personal computer, laser jet printer, fax machine, lettering machine, dictation/transcription equipment, recording equipment, binding machine, and, scanning/optical imaging equipment; input and retrieve data and tex
- May utilize specialized software programs.
- Responsible for the ordering/purchasing of department supplies or office equipment.
- Prepare purchase orders and process requests for the vendor payments. Assist in staff expense reimbursement requests.
- Responsible for the monthly collection, review, maintenance, and forwarding of payroll time records, and part-time employee
- Perform related work as require
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Two years of experience in a city or county land use agency or with a planning, engineering, environmental, or other similar organization/firm performing relevant clerical, technical, or paraprofessional activities including report writing, land use and zoning research, public interaction, or other very similar work.
- Possession of an Associate’s degree in land use, geography, civil engineering, environmental programs, or other related field of study is highly desirable, and such education may be substituted for the required work experience, with 30 semester units equating to one year of experience.
- Experience with (GIS) geographic information system experience is helpful, but not required.
- Computer keyboarding proficiency, with speed and accuracy, including experience using MS Office required.
- Pass a post-offer medical examination, which includes a drug test.
- Pass a background check, including a Department of Justice criminal record check, for employment.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
- Prefer non-tobacco user.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills desired, but not required.If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity please attach and submit the following required items with your NEOGOV application:
- A completed City of Gilroy employment application including complete supplemental question responses
- A detailed resume that highlights your related skills and experience
- A cover letter that explains your specific interest in the Planning Technician position with the City of Gilroy
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit online. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the “Apply” link. After viewing the Job Description, click the ‘Apply’ tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
Recruitment Schedule – Key Dates* Application Closing Date: Monday, November 19, 2018
Interview and Practical Test: Tuesday December 4, 2018
Finalist Interviews: Monday December 10, 2018
(*Note: The examination process/schedule may be changed as needed by the City.)
Only complete application packets will be reviewed. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process. In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass an employment background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City’s expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include an e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.