The City of Gilroy is recruiting to fill the position of Senior Planner in the Community Development Department. The goal of this department is to provide current and long-term community planning services in conformance with the Gilroy General Plan and consistent with city council direction to enhance the design and livability of residential neighborhoods, commercial areas and industrial zones within the city’s urban sphere and promote sustainable development.
Salary: $105,624 – $140,856 Annually; Plus Excellent Benefits
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled; Applications Will Be Reviewed As Submitted; Apply ASAP
Under the general supervision of the Planning Division Manager, performs high-level professional planning duties using independent judgment in making decisions. The Senior Planner may be assigned the full responsibility for particular projects, or phases of planning work, at all levels of the planning process. They will perform related duties and functions as required; such as project initiation, preparation, analysis, development, stakeholder coordination, environmental review, presentations, implementation, and enforcement, and may act on behalf of the Planning Division Manager or Director of Community Development in their absence.
In addition, the Senior Planner may mentor junior level staff and supervise technical, professional, and administrative staff, process various planning entitlement permits, lead weekly Technical Advisor Committee/Development group (TAC/DRG) meetings, and provide assistance and support at the public counter.
The “ideal candidate” for this position will:
- Be well-versed in processing planning entitlements, with considerable environmental analysis experience and compliance with CEQA (California Environmental Quality Act).
- Be detailed oriented and possess good time-management skills to handle a variety of assignments and deadlines in an extremely busy work environment.
- Have the ability to conduct thorough analyses on complex issues and distill information into a comprehensive report and plan of action is critical.
- Be an effective communicator (verbally and written) and follow through are key factors for this position.
- Be flexible and able to attend evening and weekend meetings, as typically required for Planning Commission, City Council meetings and community meetings.
- Be able to work cohesively with the planning team and maintain consistency with the Division’s implementation of regulations and policies.
- Have experience working with community groups on complex and potentially controversial issues.
- Have knowledge of process for preparing and adopting general plan amendments and/or specific plans.
- Have working experience with LAFCO.
- Exercise independent initiative and responsibility for current and/or advanced planning programs and projects.
- Have the ability to present complex, technical information in an understandable way to customers, commissioners, community groups and others.
- Have experience staffing city committee and/or commission meetings.
- Have experience to implementing Secretary of Interior Standards.
- Implementation of Land Management System
- Development and entitlement processing of the City’s Sports Park facility
- Coordinate applications to LAFCO
- Redevelopment within the Downtown core
- Completion of the Citywide Historic Inventory
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to:
- A Bachelor’s degree in planning, public or business administration, landscape architecture, economics, or a related field. A Master’s Degree is preferred but not required.
- Work experience equivalent to three years as a Planner II with the City of Gilroy, or five years with another agency. Transportation planning experience is desirable.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle (s).
- Pass a post-offer medical examination, which includes a drug test.
- Pass a background check and Department of Justice criminal record check for employment.
- Prefer non-tobacco user.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy.