The City of Lafayette is looking for an experienced professional in urban planning that can demonstrate a track record for providing high level analysis and excellent customer service.
Lafayette prides itself on its vibrant downtown, beautiful tree-studded hillsides and great schools. Just 20 minutes from downtown San Francisco via BART, Lafayette offers an oasis of tranquility. Residents also expect personalized service to deliver customized solutions to the community’s unique planning guidelines. This position will be part of the team that ensures that Lafayette retains its semi-rural character and “small town” downtown feel.
This is a challenging job in a great city! The new Planner will be joining a staff of dedicated, energetic and fun professionals.
The ideal candidate will be a professional who is tactful, self-motivated, creative, and detail-oriented. Exceptional analytical and communication skills and the ability to write well and persuasively are required. Candidates should have a four-year degree with major coursework in urban planning, community development, business or public administration, or a related field and at least 4 years of professional experience. All candidates must have the ability to work some evening hours to attend Council and Commission meetings.
The Planner will perform the following major duties:
- Reviews routine to complex development proposals, applications, permits and plans for completeness and compliance and serves as project manager.
- Prepares and reviews environmental impact reports, prepares written initial studies, negative declarations, and staff reports.
- Assists the public as well as confers with and advises architects, builders, attorneys, contractors, engineers to clarify information relative to land use, zoning, code interpretation, general plan compliance, signage, and other issues related to the City’s entitlement process.
- Staffs and assists limited-duration committees tasked with providing policy direction on advance planning studies.
Lafayette also provides an attractive benefits package that includes:
- 401-A retirement plan with City-paid monthly contributions of 10% of salary with the option of a 5% match as well as City-paid social security contributions. Lafayette does not participate in PERS.
- City-subsidized health and dental insurance as well as life insurance and disability insurance.
- 12 paid holidays and up to 20 days of annual vacation, depending on tenure.
- Challenging, interesting work; opportunities for innovation and creativity; family friendly policies; a flexible work environment; and casual dress.
Full Time / Exempt
$78,724 – $103,552 per year
The final filing date is September 27, 2019. To be considered, you must submit an online City of Lafayette Employment Application, plus relevant materials that amplify your qualifications at www.lovelafayette.org/jobs.
Email TRobinson@lovelafayette.org for questions.
Following the filing date, resumes will be screened and candidates with the most relevant qualifications will be invited to interviews in mid-October with an anticipated start date in November 2019.