The City of Livermore is currently accepting applications for the position of Principal Planner. Please refer to the job brochure for more information. To apply for this exciting opportunity, submit your online employment application at www.cityoflivermore.net/jobs by 5 p.m. on Friday, November 8, 2019.
Under general direction, the Principal Planner plans and supervises the work of a section of the Planning Division involving the development, definition, interpretation, and application of land use policies and/or regulations necessary to implement regulatory and policy programs; the management of programs and supervision of personnel to accomplish City planning program goals; and performs other duties as assigned.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate possesses the following knowledge, skills, abilities, and characteristics:
- Values and possesses high ethical and professional standards
- Develops creative and workable solutions using sound judgment within established guidelines
- Exercises appropriate independent judgment especially with respect to technical problem solving, resource allocations, project prioritization, and project delivery methods
- Recognizes motivational needs of individuals and is able to establish and promote a positive working environment
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Provide quality customer service in a professional and courteous manner
- Understands Council priorities and community concerns and is able to factor these in decision making
Experience: Five years of increasingly responsible experience performing planning, contract management, and land use regulatory responsibilities. Major program management responsibility and/or supervisory experience is desirable.
Education: Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized college or university with a major in Planning, Architecture, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Public Administration or closely related field. A Master’s degree in planning may substitute for one year of the required experience.
License: May require the possession of a valid California Driver’s License and a satisfactory driving record, as determined by the City.
Other Requirements: Willingness and ability to work the hours necessary to accomplish the assigned duties; attend evening meetings; and travel out of town and attend workshops, conferences, and seminars during work and non-work hours.
Special Requirements: Essential duties require the mental and/or physical ability to work in a standard office environment; go off site to perform field inspections or site reviews; read fine print, maps, and blue prints; use a calculator and a computer keyboard; converse by telephone, in person, and to large groups and be clearly understood; safely lift and maneuver blueprints, plans, equipment, and supplies weighing up to 30 pounds; and stamina to work additional hours to meet deadlines and attend night meetings.
The City of Livermore is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.