Under general supervision, provides experienced technical assistance to the public with the review and processing of land use applications for the Community & Economic Development Department (C&EDD) Current Planning Program.
As defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, essential functions may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides journey-level technical assistance to the public, using knowledge of state and federal planning and zoning regulations, municipal ordinances, and C&EDD policies and procedures; performs duties in accordance with C&EDD policy, and within scope of authority; duties may vary according to job assignment.
- Assists the public with submitting land use applications and development proposals; explains and interprets C&EDD programs, zoning codes, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Reviews land use applications and development proposals for technical compliance with state and federal regulations, and C&EDD standards. ? Prepares legal notices for public hearings, project reports, and technical compliance documentation; presents reports to City boards and commissions.
- Develops and presents reports on professional planning, research, data analysis, and code compliance.
- Reviews and prepares environmental compliance, CEQA and other related documents.
- Provides staff assistance to Architectural Review Board, Historic Resources Committee, and Planning Commission for review of planning projects; prepares meeting agendas and supporting documentation, takes notes, and prepares meeting minutes. May solely staff these Boards and Commissions as required.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Pacific Grove and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors, and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines:
Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Business, Public Administration or closely related field; AND two years of community development and urban planning experience, preferably with City of Pacific Grove; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Professional certification through the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is preferred.
- City policies and procedures.
- Federal and state regulations, and City codes and ordinances governing urban planning and development, including special historic district and building safety regulations.
- Principles of urban planning, community development, land use, and permitting.
- Research techniques and resources for regional land use trends and regulations.
- Personal computers utilizing standard and specialized software, including GIS software applications.
- Record keeping and file maintenance principles and procedures.
- Customer service methods and techniques
- Researching and analyzing the factors and components affecting community planning projects.
- Interpreting and applying building and safety standards, state and federal regulations, and City land use and zoning regulations, codes and policies.
- Presenting and defending planning reports and CDD issues in public meetings.
- Checking designs, details, estimates, plans, and specifications of planning projects.
- Collecting, organizing, analyzing, and presenting data and information.
- Maintaining accurate and interrelated technical records.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
Licensing and Certification Requirements
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
A valid California State Driver’s License is required.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be DOJ fingerprinted background screened.
- Must take an Oath of Office/Loyalty Oath
- Must be willing to attend evening or weekend meetings and/or critical events and activities, as appropriate.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed in a standard office environment. May anticipate lifting approximately 25 lbs at a time, and be able to stand on a ladder to file property files in banker boxes on shelves.
This position has a role for the City in the preparation for, during, and in recovery from physical disasters and other emergency incidents.
The Associate Planner position is represented by the City of Pacific Grove, General Employees Association.