Development Services Director
City of Redding
SALARY: $93,324 – $147,348*
* Classification & Compensation Study Underway
The City of Redding seeks an energetic and knowledgeable Development Services Director to lead the Development Services Department overseeing building and planning services for the community. The position will serve on the City’s leadership team, represent the City and provide technical guidance and recommendations to staff, including managerial and executive level, elected leaders, developers, and other community members. Well planned growth is a priority for the City Council; therefore, our ideal candidate should bring several years of experience in managing complex technical, long-range, and current planning expertise as well as knowledge of California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and the inclusive and engaged planning culture that exists in the State of California. This candidate will have an ability to understand current planning and process details and the nuances of meeting the community and developers’ needs. Also needed is the ability to interpret local, state, and federal building and zoning codes, regulations, and laws to make effective decisions.
Click to see full recruitment brochure:
THE JOB / THE DEPARTMENT
The Development Services Director reports to the City Manager, oversees 30 employees, and manages an approximate annual operating budget of $5 million. This position is responsible for providing policy, technical direction, and guidance to staff, city leadership, elected officials, commissions, civic groups, and the general public. The Director recommends long-range planning, leads policy development, promotes innovation, and improves ease and access to services and resources. This position will oversee grant applications and administration and administer contracts and partnership agreements with community groups and organizations.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will be a professional, dedicated, and enthusiastic leader who can guide a vision, modernize and streamline permitting processes, and develop positive relationships with both internal and external stakeholders. This candidate will have both planning experience and expertise and possess a solid understanding of CEQA, NEPA, urban planning, and municipal code. This candidate will have an ability to understand current planning and process details, the nuances of meeting the community and developers’ needs, and interpret local, state, and federal building and zoning codes, regulations, and laws to make effective decisions. Our next Director will continue to advance an inclusive and collaborative department culture that builds trust with our community, inspires creative thinking and engagement, and makes planning decisions that are fair, educated, and well informed.
- Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in land-use planning, urban planning, landscape architecture, or closely related field.
- Six years of experience in municipal planning, including at least two years in a supervisory capacity.
- Ten years of progressive experience in planning, economic development, engineering, or construction, including five years of management or supervisory experience.
- AICP (American Institute of Certified Planners) certification.
Salary and Benefits*: Annual Salary $93,324 – $147,348, and an attractive benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY: for first consideration APPLY by January 24th at:
SECURE THE DATES:
- The first round of interviews will be held virtually via Zoom on February 11th. The second round of interviews will be held in-person on February 17th. (Candidates invited to interview will need to be available for both days.)
Please contact your recruiter, Sam Sackman, with any questions:
- 541-630-0657 (direct) 866-929-9227 (Toll Free)
The City of Redding is an equal opportunity employer encouraging workforce diversity.