The City of San Bruno is seeking an energetic and forward thinking leader to serve as the City’s Planning and Housing Manager. As the City continues to grow in population and develop within the burgeoning San Francisco Bay Area, now is an exciting time to join the San Bruno Community Development Department. The Planning and Housing Manager performs a variety of routine and complex administrative, technical, managerial, supervisory, and professional work related to housing and current and long-range planning in the City.
Key current projects and work items that the Manager will be responsible for include:
- Implementing the City’s Transit Corridors Plan
- Adopting a Downtown Streetscape Plan
- Comprehensive update of the City’s Zoning Code
- Bayhill Specific Plan and YouTube Campus approvals
- Implementing the City’s Affordable Housing Program and managing the City’s Affordable Housing Impact Fee Fund
- Supporting a robust Economic Development Program
Some examples of the essential duties and responsibilities (illustrative only) include:
- Monitoring and coordinating the preparation of the agendas, reports, and meeting minutes for the Planning Commission and Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee. The Manager is the key staff member to the Commission and Committee, and may also be assigned to be the primary liaison of the Architectural Review Committee.
- Administering the City’s housing programs, including those related to affordable housing, and affordable housing impact fee fund, and develops and implements programs related to the fund.
- Oversees the processing of private and public development projects, including planning applications and environmental clearance pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
- Conducts oral presentations and prepares written staff reports to the City Council, commissions, committees, civic groups and the general public. Prepares and disseminates information on housing and planning issues, programs, services, and plans.
- Prepares or supervises the preparation of City-initiated municipal code amendments, General Plan amendments or updates, specific plans, and other long-range planning and housing documents and special studies.
- Monitors local, state and Federal legislation and regulations relating to housing policy and planning, and prepares associated reports, findings, trends, and recommendations.
- Develops work plans, and prepares requests for proposals (RFP’s) and grant applications related to special planning projects and housing programs. Prepares and monitors professional consultant contracts.
- Managing the Oversight Board for the Successor Agency to the San Bruno Redevelopment Agency and the Housing Successor.
This position reports directly to the Community and Economic Development Director and will directly supervise the City’s Senior Planner, and may supervise other staff as assigned in the Planning Division.
The Planning Division includes five City and contract employees: the Planning and Housing Manager, a Senior Planner, and three Associate Planners. The Division prepares and maintains key long-range planning policy and code documents. Current planning activities include the processing of private and public development projects, including planning applications and environmental clearance pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act. Planning staff also conducts plan check reviews for building permits and inspects development projects for compliance with the permit plans and conditions of approval.
The ideal candidate shall possess strong, hands-on technical skills in housing and planning as well as proven management and leadership skills. Prior experience with housing program administration, complex environmental impact and traffic analysis, and advanced planning is desirable given the current work programs of the Division. An individual who is skilled in managing people and processes, identifying improvement opportunities within operations, and delivering well-researched options and solutions is preferred. The selected candidate should embody and promote a “can do” attitude using common sense along with technical/professional knowledge. Customer service and commitment to high professional standards is important. The Planning and Housing Manager serves as a coach and mentor to staff and will cultivate an environment that balances the need for quality planning with customer service to the development and business community.
- Graduation from an accredited university with a bachelor’s degree in urban planning, business or public administration, urban studies, architecture, or a closely related field
- Six (6) years progressively responsible professional experience in housing and municipal planning
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license
- CalPERS retirement formula of 2.7%@55 for classic members and 2%@62 for PEPRA members
- Employer-subsidized medical/dental/vision/prescription plan with employee contribution
- 80 hours management leave annually with an annual option to cash out
- 10-23 vacation days annually based on years of service
- 12 sick days annually
- 14.5 holidays annually
- $500 personal and professional reimbursement annually
- Deferred compensation matching at 0.5% of biweekly salary
- Tuition reimbursement
- Home loan program
- City-paid life insurance and long-term disability insurance
Interested candidates are invited to submit applications online at www.calopps.org by 5pm on Friday, March 15, 2019. After an initial screening of applications, those candidates that best meet the City’s needs will be invited to participate further in the recruitment process.
Questions regarding the application process can be directed to San Bruno Human Resources at (650) 616-7055 or email@example.com.
The City of San Bruno is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and as such does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, gender, religion, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other status protected by law, in its employment actions, decisions, policies and practices. If you require special accommodations, please contact us to discuss your needs.