The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation’s best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration.
The Planning, Building and Code Enforcement Department’s (PBCE) mission is to facilitate the preservation and building of a safe, attractive, vibrant and sustainable San José through partnership with and exceptional service to our diverse communities and customers.
Position & Duties:
The PBCE Department is currently seeking to fill one Assistant to the Director position. Reporting directly to the Director, the Assistant to the Director undertakes a variety of detailed, operational tasks and assignments, and supports the Director in departmental workplan management.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Managing special projects and analyses
- Overseeing implementation of Development Services process improvements
- Guiding Department strategic planning and workplan planning
- Preparing and finalizing reports, memos and correspondence
- Responding to requests from Councilmember offices and external partners
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with community leaders, the development community, and external organizations such as San Jose State University, SPUR, Greenbelt Alliance, Transform, Building Industry Association, Urban Land Institute, The Silicon Valley Organization and the San Jose Downtown Association
- Promoting the Department’s services and initiatives
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- Analytical Thinking – Approaches a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Communication Skills – Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
- Customer Service – Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers’ needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
- Job Expertise – Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Leadership – Leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment, allowing others to learn from mistakes; provides motivational supports and direction.
- Multi-Tasking – Can handle multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously; has handled a wide variety of assignments in past and/or current position(s)
- Political Skill – In taking action, demonstrates an understanding and consideration of how it will impact stakeholders and affected areas in the organization; creates sufficient agreement to work more productively as an organization.
- Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
- Team Work & Interpersonal Skills – Develops effective relationships with co-workers and external partners by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
- Education: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in business administration or public administration or closely related field.
- Experience: Five (5) years of increasingly responsible experience in public or business administration/management, including one (1) year of experience at the level of Senior Analyst or higher.
- Licenses or Certificates: A valid California driver’s license.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOTsponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant’s training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following text type questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
- Please describe your education and experience that supports your meeting the requirements for the Assistant to the Director. In your response, please include: degree major and/or graduate course work, years of experience, detailed job duties and accomplishments
- Describe your experience leading a group and/or team to resolve a specific problem.
- Provide an example of how you worked collaboratively with people from other departments to provide a single, unified message to a question from a customer instead of individual responses from each department that may have competing or conflicting requirements.
- Describe a specific example of a situation in which you were responsible for resolving the concerns of a dissatisfied customer. In your response, please explain: (a) what specifically you did; (b) why you took that action(s); (c) how the customer responded; and (d) what you learned from this experience and what you would do differently the next time you face a dissatisfied customer.
If you have any questions regarding the selection process, position and duties, or qualifications, please contact Zoe McChesney at Zoe.McChesney@sanjoseca.gov
To apply, please complete an application via the City of San Jose’s website at www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers. The application deadline is on Friday, August 3rd at 11:59 PM. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application. Please contact Human Resources at (408) 535-1285, or Human.Resources@sanjoseca.gov if you have any questions.