Now Accepting Applications for
Assistant/Associate Planner (full-time)
Annual Salary Range
$ 86,088 – $ 117,984 DOQ
4-day work week
plus full benefits, including CalPERS Pension
Filing Deadline: March 1, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. or first 100 applications (whichever occurs first)
Applications MUST be submitted online at www.GovernmentJobs.com
The City of San Pablo has adopted a COVID-19 employee mandatory vaccination policy for new hires. Under the policy, all employees must, as a condition of employment, either be fully vaccinated and verify that vaccination status with the City, or the employee must have applied for an exemption under the law through the City.
The City of San Pablo is seeking an extraordinary planning candidate to join its Community Development Department. The Community Development Department is responsible for collaboratively planning for and reviewing the development and construction of safe, healthy, and sustainable residential, commercial and other uses that comply with the City’s policies and regulations, while striving to promote economic vitality and sustainability, and enhancing the design of the City’s built environment. The dynamic work environment will require that the successful Assistant or Associate Planner (, depending on qualifications (DOQ), candidate be a conscientious and passionate professional who wants to work in a positive, innovative, and creative team work environment.
About the position: In addition to the great salary and benefits, including a four-day work week, the incumbent will serve as a member of the Community Development Department. The incumbent of this position reports to the Community Development Director/Planning Manager and interfaces with and supports City employees at all levels. For additional information about the position, see the Job Description page of the City’s website.
Experience and Training: An ideal candidate must have excellent problem solving, judgement, analytical, and decision-making skills, as well as the ability to deal with divergent information and, to concisely and succinctly convey decisions and information to the public and other departments and divisions. Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
Assistant Planner: No professional experience is required; however, relevant technical experience is desirable and an equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban planning, urban studies, environmental studies or a highly related field.
Associate Planner: Minimum two (2) years of professional experience similar to that of an Assistant Planner with the City of San Pablo and an equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban planning, urban studies, environmental studies or a highly related field.
Required license and certificate: Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license. Future obtainment of certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners is encouraged.
Benefits: The City provides an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, paid vacation and holidays, life & disability insurance as well as CalPERS retirement pension. Please see the Benefits page of the City’s website for details.
How to apply: Applications, cover letter, and resume will only be accepted online at http://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanpabloca. For general questions, call the Human Resources Division at (510) 215-3000. Applications must be submitted to GovernmentJobs.com by the date and time listed. Applications not submitted by the posted date and time will not be considered. The most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the subsequent phases of the selection process. Meeting the minimum requirements of the position does not guarantee the advancement in any phase of the selection process. Final selection will be made from an eligibility list.
Background investigation and Pre-employment medical examination: Successful candidates will undergo a complete background investigation, fingerprinting, and pre-employment medical examination, which may include a TB test. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA): Please contact the Human Resources Department
on, or before, the filing deadline if special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process. Every attempt will be made to consider your request (medical documentation must be provided upon request). Immigration Reform & Control Act: In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, all potential employees will be required to provide proof of United State Citizenship or authorization to work in the United States. Drug-Free Workplace Policy: In accordance with the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988, it is the objective of the City of San Pablo to achieve a drug-free workplace.
THE CITY OF SAN PABLO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. MINORITIES/WOMEN/INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. QUALIFIED APPLICANTS RECEIVE EQUAL CONSIDERATION, WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, SEX, NATIONAL ORIGIN, ANCESTRY, AGE, MARITAL STATUS, AND DISABILITY EXCEPT WHERE DICTATED BY THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE JOB.
The information contained herein does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract of employment and these provisions are subject to change.
Please respond in detail to the questions below, as they will be used as screening criteria. Applications without supplemental questions will not be considered.
1) This position requires some combination of experience and training. Please describe the professional experience, relevant technical experience, and training or education that you believe qualifies you for this position. (For the Assistant Planner, this may include relevant technical experience and/or training equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban planning, urban studies, environmental studies, or a related field. For the Associate Planner, this may include two years of experience similar to that of an Assistant Planner and training equivalent to a bachelor’s degree, as noted above).
2) Describe any experience you have working with the public, answering questions, and providing technical information to customers.
3) Describe any experience you have reviewing land use development plans and proposals for compliance with relevant regulations and policies.
4) Describe your experience preparing technical or planning-related reports, presenting them to the public, and answering questions.
5) Describe your experience preparing maps, charts, graphics, and other data collection and presentation approaches. What are your relevant computer skills, including Geographic Information Systems and related programs?
6) What do you think are the elements that make a community a good place to live and conduct business? How would you put these elements into place?
Now Accepting Applications for