City of Sunnyvale – Principal Planner

Term Limited Employment Opportunity

Two-year assignment, with a potential one year extension

$108,451.20 – $138,403.20 Annually

The City seeks a Principal Planner to manage the update to the Moffett Park Specific Plan (MPSP); along with other planning assignments, such as updates to city area plans or special projects. The ideal candidate will have experience in effectively managing multiple large and complex studies, staff coordination, community outreach, (property owners and businesses, residents, cyclists, advocacy groups, etc.), EIR fiscal analysis, and infrastructure studies.

The City Council has authorized an update to the Moffett Park Specific Plan (MPSP), an 1150-acre business park area. The area is home to large and small tech businesses as well as more traditional industrial and R&D facilities. The Moffett Park area has several major property owners (Google, Lockheed Martin, Jay Paul Company) who together own about 60% of the properties, with the remaining 40% under approximately 40 different ownerships. In addition, there are numerous properties under government ownership (local, regional, state, federal), including Baylands Park (a joint County/City park) on the eastern edge, the City Water Pollution Control Plant (and former landfill), and the SMaRT® Station (materials recovery) to the north.

Due to proximity to the San Francisco Bay, the plan update will need to assess potential adaptations for sea level rise. Moffett Federal Airfield is on the western edge of the plan area, which requires examination of potential noise and safety concerns. There is an interest in studying residential mixed use neighborhoods as well as potential changes to allowable office/R&D development. The VTA Light Rail runs through Moffett Park, but the area is not a high ridership area, currently.

The minimum qualifications for the position are a Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, architecture or related field and seven years of professional experience in city or regional planning activities with some lead or supervisory experience.  OR

A Master’s degree in urban planning, architecture, or related field and five years of professional experience in city or regional planning activities with some lead or supervisory experience.

The City of Sunnyvale provides an excellent benefits package, including 4% City-paid Employees PERS contribution and the 2.0% at 60 retirement plan for classic members. A complete application consists of a City application and responses to the required supplemental questions. The recruitment closes, July 9, 2018 at 5:00 pm. For complete information regarding this opportunity, please visit: and click on JOBS.