How to apply
Please apply online at https://zurl.to/Ctl?source=NorCalAPAJobs
CivicMakers is a strategic consultancy and community of practitioners that believes in the power of inclusive, collaborative design. We envision a world where every person has the tools, skills, and capacities to advance collaborative decision-making, and every community has what they need to co-create solutions.
Our team of pragmatic optimists partners with governments, nonprofits, and mission-driven companies to unearth human insights and co-create solutions to public challenges. We specialize in strategic planning, community engagement and program and service design.
CivicMakers began as a way to bring people together around shared opportunities and challenges in the civic space, and has grown to be a leading human-centered design consultancy in the Bay Area and across California. With decades of interdisciplinary work with the public sector, our team approaches even the stickiest problems with thoughtfulness, rigor, and an open mind, building lasting relationships along the way. We know that when diverse voices are meaningfully engaged in decision-making, everyone benefits.
Our team is a small group of bright, curious, cross-disciplinary, super fun humans. We hold firm to the values of inclusion and equity, empathic listening, learning by doing, collaboration, and transparency. We are able to work fully remote in compliance with local public health guidelines, and have an office in San Francisco’s sunny Mission District.
We are seeking a self-directed, detail-oriented, civically-minded individual who wants to apply their communications, marketing and graphic design skills to improve public outreach and engagement.
The Communications & Engagement Associate will work closely with the core team on the development and execution of communications, marketing, and outreach campaigns, both for our clients and for our company. You will also support community engagement for a number of client projects, such as coordinating online workshops, administering digital engagement platforms, and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data. This is an excellent opportunity for someone with a strong communications or marketing background looking to do meaningful work at the leading edge of civic innovation while expanding their skills in community outreach and engagement.
What you will do
You will apply your skills in two primary areas:
- Communications and engagement for CivicMakers to further our growing community of civic innovators and to promote our work as a consulting firm.
- Communications, outreach & engagement for our Clients to support complex, inspiring projects in the public sector (around the Bay Area and beyond).
Below is a sampling of the kinds of tasks you can expect. These are subject to change and evolve, just like the nature of our field.
Communications & Marketing for CivicMakers
- Co-create communications and marketing campaigns
- Copy-edit, proofread, and revise marketing, outreach, and thought leadership communications (case studies, white papers, newsletter content, blog posts, etc.)
- Produce marketing and outreach collateral
- Design and implement targeted/automated marketing and social media campaigns
- Manage the production of our twice-monthly newsletter “LINKS,” which is sent to an audience of over 3,700 civic professionals
- Administration of CMS (e.g., WordPress), including updating web content for www.civicmakers.com
- Help manage relationships with clients, partners and our community through our CRM (Zoho) and other tools
- Set up and analyze marketing metrics
- Support event production for CivicMakers events, including Eventbrite setup, promotion, and coordination
Outreach & Engagement for Client projects
- Co-create outreach campaigns, including copywriting, editing and creating collateral (e.g., graphic design, video production, etc.)
- Execute and manage outreach campaigns, including creating project websites, sending emails and newsletters via MailChimp, posting to social media, securing paid advertising, and coordination with promotional partners (such as City departments and community-based organizations)
- Assist with the coordination and production of community meetings (e.g., community workshops, open houses, focus groups, etc.), including Eventbrite setup and administration, Zoom setup, presentation design, in-meeting activity design (e.g., polls, worksheets, mural boards), and more
- Support production of online community meetings (e.g. workshops, open houses, focus groups, etc.) including note taking, Zoom administration, (poll, breakout room and Q&A management, etc.)
- Co-design, build and manage online surveys (e.g., SurveyMonkey, Google Forms, etc.) Manage digital engagement tools (e.g., SurveyMonkey, EngagementHQ, CoUrbanize etc.), including content development, community management, and reporting
- Create translation documents and coordinate professional translations
- Synthesize and summarize findings from community engagement efforts, including both qualitative and quantitative data analysis
- Write and produce reports
Other Internal Work
- Contribute to the production/design of sales proposals
- Contribute to CivicMakers strategic projects
- Attend conferences, trainings, webinars and other industry events
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full time exempt position at 40 hours per week, with a salary range of $55,000-$65,000 based on experience.
Annual bonus, contingent on performance and profit
401k with CivicMakers contributing an additional 3% of your salary (eligible after 1 year of employment)
Unlimited paid vacation days (with one month advanced notice and supervisor approval (eligible after 3 months of employment)
12 paid holidays
Unlimited paid sick days
CivicMakers pays 73% of your medical insurance
- CivicMakers pays 50% of your dental insurance
- Certifications/Trainings/Courses – up to $500/year
- MacBook Air
- $500 workspace setup stipend
- We provide you with a company laptop and the necessary tools to do your job effectively and comfortably from the office or remotely
This will be a remote position to start and in alignment with public health guidelines. However, you will eventually work out of our San Francisco office (at least part-time) and need to be available to travel to client locations throughout the Bay Area and beyond.
Equal Employment Opportunity & Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging
CivicMakers is committed to building a culture that reflects our values of inclusion and equity. We actively encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, ethnic minorities and others from diverse backgrounds of all types to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be made for candidates with disabilities.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
The Bare Minimum
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent work experience
- Experience either working with a consulting firm or working directly with a public agency, such as a city, county or state agency
- You are located in the Bay Area, you can commute to San Francisco (post-COVID), and you are able to travel to client locations around Northern California and beyond
- At least two years of relevant experience in communications and marketing
- Excellent written communication skills, including proofreading written content, writing and editing for various contexts (e.g., community flyers, social media, white papers), and translating complex information into accessible content
- Experience reaching targeted audiences through a variety of online and offline methods
- Experience using email marketing systems, preferably Mailchimp
- Experience using event promotion tools, preferably Eventbrite
- Experience setting up and administering Zoom meetings
- Experience using graphic design software, such as Affinity Designer, Canva or Adobe Suite
- Familiarity and expertise with social media, both creating and sharing content
- At least some experience using content management systems (CMS), preferably WordPress
- At least some experience using constituent relationship management systems (CRM), preferably Zoho CRM
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency with Google Workspace (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, etc.)
- Native fluency (verbal & written) in a language spoken by communities we commonly engage (e.g., Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese or Filipino)
- Experience working with historically under-invested communities
- Familiarity with human-centered design or design thinking
- Skilled at taking quick and thorough digital notes
- Excellent people skills, such as coordinating multiple project team members, greeting people at events, and maintaining a professional rapport with clients
- Comfortable speaking in public in front of small to medium-sized audiences
- Experience with quantitative and qualitative data analysis and synthesis
- Experience with Google Analytics and basic web analytics reporting
- An active listener with excellent verbal communication skills