Are you interested in helping shape projects that significantly improve urban environments? Are you passionate about enabling communities to achieve a more sustainable and equitable future? Community Design + Architecture (CD+A) is looking for a uniquely thoughtful, talented, and enthusiastic Urban Designer to join our team.
We need a skilled designer or planner with strong design and graphic abilities with 2-4 years of experience with interest ranging from policy development to getting projects built. Someone who is experienced in working at various scales ranging from the details of streetscape, public open space, and transit facility design to sustainable complete and green streets, urban revitalization and planning of corridors and districts, and city and regional transportation and land use projects. You will have the opportunity to grow personally and professionally as part of the CD+A team.
We are a small multidisciplinary urban design firm in downtown Oakland with a regional and national practice focusing on multimodal streets and quick build projects, land use/transportation design, community design, and sustainable infrastructure. We are leaders in walkable and transit-oriented communities, green sustainable infrastructure and complete streets, and corridor and district revitalization. Our projects are rooted in a commitment to using community-based design and planning processes to create projects that improve urban environments and making them more vibrant, sustainable, equitable, inclusive, and enjoyable.
We attract a wide range of projects, which currently includes: streetscape and placemaking for the E14th St/Mission Blvd multimodal corridor in San Leandro, Alameda County, and Hayward; near-term streetscape construction documents and public outreach for San Pablo Ave in Oakland, Emeryville, Berkeley, and Albany; bus stop design for AC Transit’s Rapid Corridors projects on Telegraph and Grand/West Grand Aves, a specific plan in the East Bay, and community planning and community engagement efforts in other Bay Area communities.
Award-winning projects include San Francisco’s Better Streets Plan, Valley Metro Light Rail TOD guidance and implementation strategy, East Whisman Precise Plan, Telegraph Avenue protected bikeway, and the circulation and open space element of Santa Monica’s Bergamot Area Plan.
We are currently all working remotely with the expectation of returning to the office at some point later this year, with the potential for a combination of in-office and remote work moving forward.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in landscape architecture, urban planning, urban design, geography or sustainability, architecture or a related field and 2-4 years of relevant experience.
- Proficiency in the use of AutoCAD in the design of public spaces and complete streets, and developing construction drawings;
- Experience in developing Sketch-Up models for streetscape and complete streets projects;
- Proficiency with basic spatial analytics and ArcGIS (experience with spatial data visualization on Google Earth/Google Map, QGIS, OSM and other visualization software is a plus);
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite;
- Proficiency working with the Adobe suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat), and other graphic tools, including hand drawing, to develop before and after visualizations and other presentation graphics of proposed street, public space, and urban development;
- Research and/or implementation of land use, complete and green streets, quick build projects, and urban design policy and design;
- Self-motivated and capable of working collaboratively and independently with an increasing level of responsibility with more years of experience;
- Strong design and graphic sense, and good writing, organizational, and communication skills;
- Have a strong desire to plan and design sustainable and connected streets, public spaces, communities, cities, and regions.
CD+A is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants must be authorized to legally work in the United States without sponsorship.
Salary for the position is dependent upon qualifications. This is a full time position. Medical, retirement, and other benefits included.
Please attach a resume and cover letter (with a contact telephone number) outlining how your experience, interests, and projects align with the requirements for the position, in either a Word or PDF document and email it to email@example.com, with the subject line “For Urban Designer Position 0921”. Also, either include a link to your on-line portfolio or attach portfolio examples in PDF format no greater than 10 MB. No phone calls please.