The Planning and Building Department is seeking qualified candidates for the position of GIS Technician I/II to provide land use-related support and services to all areas of the Department.
$35.27 – $44.09/Hour
The County of San Mateo Planning and Building Department is responsible for planning and regulating land use and development within the unincorporated areas of the County so that diverse and livable communities can thrive. The GIS Technician will be part of Department’s diverse team of planners, building inspectors, code enforcement officers, building permit technicians and administrative support personnel that serve the County’s residents, businesses and visitors through the preparation and administration of land use plans and regulations, zoning and building codes, and by reviewing land use proposals to ensure they are consistent with those plans and regulations.
Under general supervision, the GIS Technician I/II will be responsible for managing the Department’s GIS database, maintaining and updating data layers and feature classes; developing, maintaining and enforcing metadata standards; aiding in the transition to the ESRI Local Government Information Model (LGIM); map creation; developing datasets; conducting analysis; supporting departmental and county-wide GIS related projects; providing general support and basic IT support to internal staff, which may include providing general graphics support; facilitating data sharing with regional partners; and be willing and able to perform data collection in the field as needed.
The duties of this position are at the GIS Technician I/II level. The Planning and Building Department is seeking qualified candidates who have experience and are skilled in database management, transitioning existing data and shapefiles into meaningful feature classes, and helping the Department adopt more mobile GIS capacity. Graphics skills and experience also desirable.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have strong analytical skills as they relate to spatial concepts, mapping systems, land use, planning and community development and strong interest in life-long learning.
- Possess good oral and written communication skills to be able to work collaboratively with colleagues within and outside the Department.
- Possess a basic understanding of design principles, color theory, and document management, with the ability to create, edit and lay out maps, reports and publication documents using ArcMap, Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop.
- Possess an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in Urban/Regional Planning, Land Use, Environmental Planning, Ecology, Environmental Science, Geography, or other related degree with a minor in management information systems, computer science, geographical information systems, or a related field. Additional related experience may substitute for education requirement on a year-for-year basis, up to four (4) years.
- Have three (3) years of experience of intensive and progressive experience requiring extensive use of GIS and related tools. May include one (1) year of experience in providing database management technical support specific to the specialty area assigned which includes logical and physical database administration; integration; business intelligence, analytics and report scripting; and/or data quality and integrity.
Final Filing Date: December 5, 2019, 11:59pm PST
To learn more about the position and to apply online, please visit our website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanmateo/jobs/2628329-0/gis-technician-i-ii-open-and-promotional. Applications are only accepted online. EOE