$9,161 – $11,454 / Month
Are you passionate about sustainability and environmental issues, leading a team of enthusiastic and creative professionals, and being part of the changing ways in which local governments can develop and implement programs to address these issues and serve the San Mateo County community?
The County of San Mateo’s Office of Sustainability is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Sustainability Program Manager – Energy & Water to lead the Energy and Water team. This team is responsible for protecting and conserving San Mateo County’s water and energy resources through implementing the Bay Area Regional Energy Network, San Mateo County Energy Watch, Stormwater compliance and green infrastructure programs, and leading climate action initiatives. We are looking for a proven sustainability leader with strong program and project management skills, who can build strong partnerships to develop long-term strategic solutions and deliver short-term initiatives. A successful candidate will have a strong commitment to staff development, public service, and to empowering our departments, employees, and our community members to take meaningful actions on sustainability.
The Sustainability Program Manager – Energy & Water manages the Energy and Water team within the Office of Sustainability and receives direction from the Director or Assistant Director of the Office of Sustainability and external governing bodies for respective programs within their responsibility area. The Program Manager exercises direct and indirect supervision over professional, technical, support, contract and volunteer staff.
As a Sustainability Program Manager – Energy & Water, you will:
- Plan, develop, implement, coordinate and evaluate Energy and Water programs.
- Serve as primary subject matter expert in the assigned area to the county, external agencies, businesses, community groups and the public.
- Plan, develop, and monitor the budget for the Energy and Water team.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for Energy and Water programs.
- Work closely with staff to develop strategic and implementation plans for the Energy and Water team.
- Assist in coordinating programs, projects and activities within the assigned area that cross over major areas of the section or across teams.
- Assure compliance with federal, state, local and other pertinent mandates, laws, codes, rules, regulations and agreements within assigned area.
- Serve as representative or assign representatives to serve on related boards, commissions, committees and community groups; attend or assign staff members to attend various meetings.
- Develop, negotiate and monitor grants.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The IDEAL CANDIDATE will have the skills necessary to:
- Provide leadership and promote teamwork while managing sustainability programs and staff.
- Integrate equity, race, and social justice in both internal and external initiatives.
- Effectively frame and communicate complex concepts for different audiences, orally and in writing.
- Possess a broad knowledge of trends and technical information on energy- and water-related programs, especially in the fields of stormwater management, but also groundwater management, water conservation, residential and commercial energy efficiency, zero net energy and zero net carbon buildings, distributed energy resources, fuel switching initiatives, smart grid, and transition to electric vehicles.
- Be skilled in community problem resolution and policy development, and facilitating or managing large public processes or projects with an active, highly engaged community
- Be comfortable in a fast-paced, people-focused environment.
- Speak effectively, make public presentations, conduct outreach, training and/or public education as necessary.
- Represent the work group and the department on boards, committees and in community groups.
- Prepare and review comprehensive reports, letters, and other written materials.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have a Master’s degree in environmental studies or a related field and four or more years of increasingly responsible experience managing sustainability programs.
FINAL FILING DATE: April 8, 2021
To learn more about the position and to apply online, please visit our website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanmateo/jobs/3022351-0/sustainability-program-manager-energy-water-open-and-promotional. Applications are only accepted online. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire. EOE