County of San Mateo is hiring Senior Sustainability Specialists
$8,462 – $10,580 / Month
Are you passionate about sustainability and environmental issues? Do you want to lead a team of enthusiastic professionals, and be part of the changing ways in which local governments can develop and implement programs to address these issues and serve the San Mateo County community?
The County of San Mateo’s Office of Sustainability (OOS) seeks qualified candidates for two Senior Sustainability Specialist positions – one for the Climate Change working group and the other for the Energy and Water working group. We want “sustainability champions” with experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are looking for candidates with excellent project management and communication skills to lead initiatives and empower our employees, community partners, and community members to take meaningful actions on sustainability. OOS is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages candidates from varied backgrounds to apply.
Formed in July 2014 as a part of the County Manager’s Office, the Office of Sustainability strives to improve the sustainability of the County’s operations and the greater community through work in areas of climate change, energy and water conservation, waste reduction, and making our communities more livable. The Office of Sustainability identifies with the following values that guide its work: Empowerment, Equity, Collaboration, and Inspiration, and serves the diverse, multi-cultural communities in San Mateo County.
As a Senior Sustainability Specialist, you will:
- Lead complex projects, and leverage grant opportunities.
- Provide staff with project direction, training, assignment, and review of work completed.
- Serve as a technical expert, researching, analyzing, and interpreting complex technical data.
- Identify and implement racial equity and social justice opportunities at work and in the community; track results.
- Identify and coordinate collaboration opportunities across program areas, within the workgroup and across OOS.
- Enhance multi-departmental and multi-agency coordination for OOS initiatives throughout the county and the cities of San Mateo County.
- Provide input on staff selection, and evaluation of opportunities to enhance employee engagement.
- Assist the Program Manager with program planning and budget development.
- Participate in goal and strategy development, and develop procedures and policies for new and existing programs.
The IDEAL CANDIDATE will have the skills necessary to:
- Provide leadership and promote teamwork while planning and coordinating staff activities.
- Effectively frame and communicate complex concepts for different audiences, orally and in writing.
- Define difficult problem areas, research them, and provide valid alternatives and recommendations.
- Work effectively with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Incorporate the perspectives of multiple communities, including communities of color, in the consideration of impacts and outcomes of a project or initiative.
- Apply an understanding of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities to improve project design and implementation.
- Represent the work group and the department on boards, committees and in community groups.
- Speak effectively, make public presentations, conduct outreach, training and/or public education as necessary.
- Be comfortable in a fast-paced, people-focused environment.
- Prepare and edit comprehensive reports, letters, and other written materials.
- Track changes in and compliance with existing contracts, grants, laws, codes, and rules.
At this time, we will be hiring two permanent Senior Sustainability Specialists position for the Office of Sustainability Climate Change and Energy and Water working groups. This recruitment may also be used to fill future vacancies, so those interested in the Senior Sustainability Specialist position in one or any of the other working group(s) are encouraged to apply in this recruitment.
Climate Change Senior Sustainability Specialist
The Climate Change Senior Sustainability Specialist supports the Program Manager in articulating a compelling vision for climate action and community climate readiness and effectively coordinates with county and city officials, government staff, and community stakeholders to achieve measurable progress toward that vision. This position will manage a variety of climate change projects focused on public stakeholder engagement, outreach and education as well as policy development.
Energy and Water Senior Sustainability Specialist
The Energy and Water Senior Sustainability Specialist supports the Program Manager in leading the team to advance energy efficiency, energy management, decarbonization, renewable energy, battery storage, electric vehicle adoption, and water conservation initiatives to achieve greenhouse gas reduction and carbon neutrality goals, and to implement stormwater management, green infrastructure, trash capture, and water quality improvement projects to fulfill the requirements of the Municipal Regional Permit. The selected candidate will drive progress by developing and managing a variety of climate action and water quality projects and coordinating with the funders of regional grant programs; county, city, school district, and special district staff; and community small business and nonprofit stakeholders.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is three years of program coordination experience in the field of sustainability and/or resource conservation.
A competitive benefits package is associated with this position. For complete information regarding benefits please click here.
FINAL FILING DATE: June 14, 2021
To learn more about the position and to apply online, please visit our website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanmateo/jobs/3061091-0/senior-sustainability-specialist-open-and-promotional. Applications are only accepted online. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire. EOE