Building Inspector I & II | $4,739 – $7,442/Monthly*
Join Permit Sonoma! Now recruiting for highly qualified building contractors with California code compliance/inspection experience.
Starting salary up to $42.79/hour ($89,307/year), a cash allowance of $600/month, and a competitive total compensation package!*
Permit Sonoma’s Building Inspectors work within an assigned geographical area, performing a variety of building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, floodplain, and fire and life safety visual inspections. Building upon their journey-level construction experience, they conduct research and check building plans and layouts for conformance with building codes, County ordinances, and departmental policies and procedures. Building Inspectors work in indoor and outdoor environments, in all weather conditions, and drive County vehicles.
The ideal person for the job has completed six years of building/construction trades experience in which they:
- Effectively applied provisions of the California Building, Housing, Plumbing, Electrical and Mechanical codes; Fire Safe Standards; and related State and County codes and ordinances
- Reviewed plans and specifications, identifying any construction that deviated from expectations
- Successfully interacted with a diverse customer base
- Exercised excellent judgment and a common-sense approach to addressing challenging customer service situations
- Used their ability to shift gears quickly, and worked well in fast-paced/high-volume work environments
Depending upon experience, we are hiring Inspectors at the I or II level. If you are interested in applying at the I level of this opportunity, you must apply to the separate recruitment being conducted for that level.
What We Offer
The County of Sonoma offers career growth and development, the opportunity to be a part of a challenging and rewarding work environment, and the satisfaction of knowing that you’re working to better the community. You can also look forward to a competitive total compensation package, including*:
- An annual Staff Development/Wellness Benefit allowance up to $500 and ongoing education/training opportunities
- Competitive vacation and sick leave accruals, 12 paid holidays, and an additional 8 floating holiday hours per year
- Significant portion of health care premiums paid by the County and access to several health plan options
- County contribution to a Health Reimbursement Arrangement to help fund post-retirement employee health insurance/benefits
- Retirement fully integrated with Social Security
- May be eligible for up to 8 weeks (320 hours) of Paid Parental Leave after 12 months of County employment
- Eligibility for a salary increase after 1,040 hours (6 months when working full-time) for good work performance
Permit Sonoma is currently recruiting to fill a Building Inspector position at either the I or the II level.
*Salary is negotiable and benefits described herein do not represent a contract and may be changed without notice. For more information, including minimum qualifications, & to apply, visit, www.yourpath2sonomacounty.org or call 707-565-2331. The County of Sonoma is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity and we are committed to having a workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. Apply by 08/05/21