Permit Sonoma is seeking candidates with permitting experience and:
- Proven customer service skills, with the aptitude and patience for collaborating with a wide variety of clients
- The ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships
- A high degree of attention to detail
- The ability to effectively manage competing priorities, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment
Permit Sonoma’s Permit Technicians provide excellent customer service. Whether working at the lobby counter, by phone, or via the website and email portals, they respond to various questions regarding the department’s wide variety of functions and services. As a Permit Technician you will learn how to properly utilize a broad base of code requirements and department policies in order to effectively intake and process an assortment of construction development applications. Additionally, you will:
- Assist the public with completing and filing application materials for various types of development permits
- Read and review construction plans, and building, planning, and well and septic applications, as well as other information, for accuracy
- Input application information into Permit Sonoma’s automated tracking system and calculate permit fees
- Research files and permit history for department staff and the public
- Employees in the Permit Technician I position may be advanced to the Permit Technician II after a training period of one-year, completion of the ICBO Permit Technician Certificate, and two additionally approved industry courses related to the building industry.
- The Permit Technician II position requirescompletion of the ICBO/ICC Permit Technician Certificate and two approved industry courses related to the building industry. If you do not possess these qualifications, we encourage you to apply to our Permit Technician I recruitment.
The County of Sonoma offers career growth and development, the opportunity to be a part of a challenging and rewarding work environment, and the satisfaction of knowing that you’re working to better the community. You can also look forward to a competitive total compensation package, including*:
- An annual Staff Development/Wellness Benefit allowance up to $500 and ongoing education/training opportunities
- Competitive vacation and sick leave accruals, 12 paid holidays, and an additional 8 floating holiday hours per year
- County paid premium contribution to several health plan options
- County contribution to a Health Reimbursement Arrangement to help fund post-retirement employee health insurance/benefits
- Retirement fully integrated with Social Security
- May be eligible for up to 8 weeks (320 hours) of Paid Parental Leave after 12 months of County employment
- Eligibility for a salary increase after 1,040 hours (6 months when working full-time) for good work performance; eligibility for a salary increase for good performance
- With time and good performance, the opportunity for advancement to Permit Technician II ($5,487/month)
Bring your customer service skills and understanding of building permit practices to the County of Sonoma. Join Permit Sonoma as a Permit Technician!
Starting salary up to $31.55/hour ($65,848/year), a cash allowance of $600/month, and a competitive total compensation package!*
If you are interested in applying at the I and/or II level of this opportunity, you must apply to the separate recruitments being conducted for each level.
*Salary is negotiable and benefits described herein do not represent a contract and may be changed without notice. For more information & to apply online, visit www.yourpath2sonomacounty.org or call 707-565-2331. EOE Apply by 3/25/19