We are currently seeking a full-time, mid-level (8+ years of experience) permitting specialist/biologist to join our California biological resources team in supporting resource agency permitting, conducting a variety of field surveys and assessments, including wetland delineations, preparing project permit applications, and managing project timelines and deliverables. We are particularly interested in someone with strong analytic skills and interest in expanding their knowledge of the regulatory environment in California.
The ideal candidate would also be able to conduct field evaluations and have documentation of experience and/or an interest in learning these professional skills associated with jurisdictional wetland and waters delineations. We recognize that the successful candidate may not possess all of these skills/interests, but strong interest in gaining expertise in these areas is critical. Project assistance may occur throughout California.
This position may be based out of our San Diego, Encinitas, Pasadena, Riverside, La Quinta, San Juan Capistrano, Santa Barbara, Bakersfield, Auburn, Sacramento, Oakland or Santa Cruz, California offices.
Duties and Responsibilities
May be involved with all or a selection of the following, individually or as part of a team:
- Providing permitting strategy guidance to clients related to waters and Endangered Species Act (ESA) Permitting
- Conducting permit negotiations with resource agency staff
- Conducting business development and work on marketing efforts related to waters and ESA permitting and other services Dudek offers
- Preparing resource agency permit applications and associated documentation
- Working and mentoring others on waters and ESA permitting, including review of other’s work products and guiding entry-level staff in providing overall regulatory assistance to clients and negotiating with resource agency staff
- Project management and client communication for multiple projects and project task orders that are active simultaneously
- Conducting jurisdictional delineations pursuant to the most recent federal Clean Water Act Section 404, State of California Fish and Game Code 1600, and State of California Clean Water Act Section 401 resource agency guidance
- Ability to prepare Biological Assessments in support of Biological Opinions through coordination with wildlife experts at Dudek.
Work as a member of our team in the preparation of technical reports and studies including biological constraints analyses, wetland delineation reports and wetland permit applications. This includes working individually and as part of a team on the following:
- Assembly and synthesis of data related to biological issues and impact assessment
- Coordination with internal staff and sub-consultants preparing technical reports
- Coordination with technical staff in document preparation, map and exhibit preparation, editing and production and distribution tasks
Required Education, Experience, Credentials, and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, ecology, botany or related natural resources field
- 8+ years’ experience with environmental consulting, natural resource planning and management or related field
- Experience with resource agency permitting and project management
- Experience with resource agency negotiation on behalf of clients desired, but not required
- Familiarity with California wetland types and systems (freshwater and tidal), southern, coastal and central California vegetation community characterization and state and federal regulatory permitting processes including working with the US Army Corps of Engineers, US Fish and Wildlife Service, California Regional Water Quality Control Boards and California Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Attention to detail, ability to work independently and strong written and oral communication skills is essential
- Ability to conduct fieldwork in challenging terrain and weather conditions, as necessary
Dudek is a leading California-based environmental and engineering firm that helps public and private clients plan and implement reliable, effective, and compliant projects. Founded in 1980, Dudek is a stable company that has grown steadily to more than 600 professionals across the U.S., located primarily in offices in California, Hawai’i, and Oregon.
As an employee-owned company, Dudek’s culture rewards smart, productive team members with professional and financial benefits. Our offices are designed to encourage collaboration, sustainability, and connectivity with the surrounding communities.
Please visit www.dudek.com to learn more!
Dudek is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by applicable law.