Community Planner / Technical Analyst / Technical Writer
Dynamic Planning + Science is looking for the newest member of our specialty planning and data visualization firm. DP+S’s mission is to deliver products and services crafted to foster community health, resilience, and safety by addressing challenges between the natural and built environment.
We’re looking for a full-time, mid-level planner with experience in local community planning, hazard mitigation, technical writing, and data analysis. The selected candidate will be responsible for effectively and efficiently supporting multiple simultaneous projects such as general plan updates (Safety and Housing Elements), hazard mitigation plans, and risk and vulnerability assessments.
The candidate will work with local governments throughout California to support sustainability and resiliency planning efforts through data presentation and analysis, planning documentation, multi-jurisdictional coordination, policy and regulatory analysis, and community engagement.
The selected candidate would work on the following elements of DP+S projects:
Technical Analysis / Technical Writing
- Collect, analyze, and synthesize data for local long-range planning, resiliency/hazard mitigation planning projects, and emergency planning.
- Identify and incorporate data into resiliency and hazard mitigation plans and other documents, perform vulnerability analyses and risk assessments on hazard data, and write significant portions of planning documents.
- Develop and edit content on project websites or other digital content.
- Assist with the identification and description of cost-effective, technically feasible, and environmentally sound local goals, policies, and hazard mitigation actions (projects).
- Work with in-house data visualization specialists and senior technical staff on the creation of digital website content related to the technical work described above.
- Provide other research and writing tasks as necessary to support a wide range of planning projects.
- Apply complex tools and concepts that foster data-driven decision-making and collaboration.
- Provides planning services directly to local governments on a contract basis.
- Analyze development applications for consistency with local development regulations.
- Evaluate local government existing capabilities through research of local plans, regulations, policies, and programs and review of programs and documents.
- Communicate sustainable community concepts like affordable, accessible, and safe housing for residents, climate change adaptation strategies, sustainable transportation initiatives, etc.
- Knowledge of and experience in applying the concepts, theories, principles, and practices of emergency management, hazard mitigation, urban planning, and/or economic recovery.
- Knowledge of California Requirements for General Plans/ comprehensive planning.
- Experience with hazard mitigation planning, community rating system recovery planning, climate change adaptation planning, resiliency planning, and emergency operations planning.
- Experience with the following is a plus: FEMA hazard mitigation programs, like the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA), post-disaster recovery planning, flood hazard analysis, and mapping.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Data mining from multiple information sources.
- Website content editing and development. (WordPress and other web-based platforms)
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Project)
- Meeting planning and public presentation support.
- Strong work ethic. Self-motivated and capable of independent work and demonstrated ability to work on project teams.
- Excellent time management, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Adobe creative suite skills are a plus (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign).
- GIS Skills/Certification a plus.
- 5-10 years of professional planning or data analysis experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Environmental Management, Urban Planning, Emergency Management, Civil/Environmental Engineering, Geography, or related field.
- Professional certifications in the field of planning, emergency management, or floodplain management are a plus.
- Additional education may substitute for experience.
$70,000-$85,000 depending on experience and. Employees are subject to localized compensation.
Employees receive 10 paid holidays, accrued vacation time, and sick leave. Employees receive annual support for professional development.
Medical, Dental and Vision (Blue Cross Blue Sheild and United)
DP+S is a small team that is open to discussing other benefits a candidate might require to make the position a good fit.
Generally, the planner will work in an office environment and use computers and telephones to conduct business. This position requires travel which will be intermittent and scheduled based on client needs but may last for up to a week at a time. During travel periods, the work environment will vary between an office setting and a field setting for client meetings.
DP+S is based in Montrose, Colorado, and Concord, California. This is a remote position, and candidates from any location will be considered. Preference is for candidates in Colorado.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, color, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.