Environmental Science Associates (ESA) is an environmental science, planning, and design consulting firm committed to the principles of sound science, technical excellence, integrity, and the promotion of outstanding decision making and sustainability. As a 100-percent employee-owned company with offices located in California, Washington, Oregon and Florida, continuing to meet the needs of our clients as well as the strategic aspirations of our employee-owners requires that we look to add the very best professional talent throughout our practices and offices.
Specializing in project planning, environmental analysis and assessment, natural and cultural resources management, environmental restoration and design, and regulatory compliance, ESA’s scientists, historians, planners, designers, and technical specialists provide critical thinking and in-depth analysis to guide successful policy development, project planning, and the creation of enduring multi-objective solutions. Joining ESA means becoming part of a family of environmental professionals for whom every day involves growing your career, learning, creativity, fun, and the satisfaction knowing that you’ve contributed to outstanding iconic projects, improved environmental stewardship, and a more sustainable future for our communities and wild places.
About the Position
The Northern CA Transportation Project Manager will work closely with senior staff in ESA’s Northern California Region to expand our growing transportation environmental practice. Primary responsibilities involve preparing/managing transportation related CEQA/NEPA and other environmental documents and studies; supporting the preparation of proposals responding to RFPs/RFQs; managing ESA analysts and sub consultants to prepare environmental documents and related technical studies. The position will also involve mentoring/supervising 1-2 Associate staff; working directly with public and private-sector clients and stakeholders; and assisting with overall Group administration. The role involves direct client interaction, proactive business development, involvement with professional development organizations, and preparing competitive proposals in response to RFPs/RFQs.
The position involves managing existing task order contracts, taking on existing work on multi-modal projects, and providing continuity with existing clients and building from that base.
The Transportation Project Manager will support the sustainability and climate change mitigation and resiliency parts of the practice as well.
ESA pursues and works on a diverse set of transportation projects, from complete streets and active transportation and trails, to complex transit, highway and bridge projects. In addition, ESA has a robust climate change practice that supports projects addressing climate adaptation and resiliency for transportation assets. ESA also provides sustainability services to communities and transportation agencies in the forms of sustainability plans, GHG emission reduction strategies, and Envision certification for projects. ESA holds several on calls with transportation agencies in the bay area and in Sacramento and has strong relationships with other firms to provide environmental services for engineering projects. We also provide environmental mitigation monitoring services to some of the largest transportation constructions projects in Northern California.
Project opportunities for the successful candidate would span all facets of ESA’s Transportation practice, but would focus on interdisciplinary, multi-modal transportation projects and evaluating their environmental impacts and benefits across the Northern California region.
As a result of ESA’s strategic growth, our northern California Transportation Practice is seeking to add an experienced project manager to our team. This position will be a key leader in our expanding Northern California transportation practice, based out of ESA’s Oakland or San Francisco office and reporting to the Transportation Director for the Northern California region.
Your primary responsibilities will include:
- The ability to work collaboratively with our clients and interdisciplinary teams to deliver needed transportation projects that keep people and goods moving.
- Managing the environmental review process for a range of projects from traditional local assistance projects and complete streets, to complex road, highway, or transit EIRs/EISs.
- Involvement in active transportation and sustainability/climate change issues.
- Managing complex transportation environmental reviews and projects; staffing, budget, schedule & client management.
- Providing technical and operational leadership and mentoring of other environmental technical staff.
- Maintaining a positive and collaborative work environment that promotes professional growth and success.
- Developing leads and client contacts, heading marketing initiatives, preparing proposals, and winning work.
- Coordinating with other groups to leverage, expand and to help cross sell ESA services.
- Representing ESA at presentations, conferences and professional events.
- Ensuring that all work products and services meet ESA’s quality criteria and applicable professional standards.
- Furthering a legacy of quality service and innovation.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have strong knowledge of and experience with CEQA and NEPA compliance, Caltrans Standard Environmental Reference, Caltrans Local Assistance Program;
- Direct working relationships with regional and local departments of transportation (ACTC, CCTA, VTA, Sacramento RT), public works and/or Caltrans environmental and planning staff
- Experience with and a basic understanding of the financial and administrative aspects of project management.
- Experience working with public and private clients in a private consulting firm.
- Be a creative problem-solver, who enjoys the bigger picture of project delivery, and who prides themselves on doing quality work in an ever-changing regulatory environment.
- Be familiar with the state of the transportation practice, funding, and planning mechanisms in Northern California and the environmental regulatory landscape.
- Possess established client relationships and demonstrated success in new business development, ideally with federal, state, regional and/or local transportation agency clients, and transportation engineers.
- Have demonstrated skills to manage complex projects, including demonstrated success in preparing project deliverables and managing project schedules and budgets.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills and experience.
- Enjoy working in and contributing to a team-oriented, collaborative work environment.
ESA is owned entirely by its employees, creating a unique ownership culture rooted in a commitment to do work that matters, technical excellence and professional development. ESA’s comprehensive compensation and benefits program reflects our commitment to our employees. Our benefits include: 401(k) Salary Deferral Plan with company match program, Employee Stock Ownership Plan, medical and dental insurance vision care, paid vacation, sick leave, 9 paid holidays, group term life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, commuter/transit incentives, healthcare and daycare Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement assistance, performance bonus plan, and employee referral bonus program.
If you are interested in applying to become an employee-owner at ESA, please visit the ESA Careers page at www.esassoc.com or follow the link below:
ESA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. (EOE M/V/F/D)