$210,000 to $240,000 Annually
The City/County Association of Governments of San Mateo County (C/CAG) is a joint powers agency whose members include the County of San Mateo and the twenty incorporated cities and towns within San Mateo County. C/CAG is governed by a 21-member Board of Directors and is advised by nine standing committees. C/CAG is the designated Congestion Management Agency (CMA) in San Mateo County, also known as the County Transportation Agency (CTA), the Airport Land Use Commission, and the Countywide Stormwater Pollution Prevention Program Manager.
C/CAG was initially formed to address common issues among members, to adopt and implement state mandated countywide plans and programs including Congestion Management, Airport Land Use Compatibility, and integrated solid waste management. Over time, it has evolved to address a number of additional issues that affect the quality of life of the community, including transportation planning and sustainable communities, stormwater runoff, transportation/housing linkage, and climate change. C/CAG provides a unique forum for the cities and the County to collaborate on common issues and develop cost-effective solutions.
C/CAG serves the people of San Mateo County by partnering with state, regional and local agencies and by building relationships with community-based organizations, non-profits and advocacy organizations to understand community needs and challenges.
About the Position:
The Executive Director is an experienced leader and innovative administrator who can implement the C/CAG Board of Directors’ vision for the agency and direct the activities, goals and priorities of the agency. With policy direction from the C/CAG Board of Directors, the Executive Director:
- Plans, organizes, controls and provides administrative direction and oversight for all C/CAG functions and activities
- Provides policy guidance and program evaluation to C/CAG staff
- Fosters cooperative working relationships with regional, State and local intergovernmental agencies and various public and private groups
- Advocates for federal, state and other funding for C/CAG programs and for San Mateo County agencies
In addition, the C/CAG Executive Director currently serves as the Co-Executive Council for the San Mateo County Express Lanes Joint Powers Authority (SMCEL-JPA). The SMCEL-JPA is a joint powers agency created by C/CAG and the San Mateo County Transportation Authority (SMCTA) and governed by the SMCEL-JPA Board of Directors.
The successful candidate will be:
- A passionate leader who together with the Board will develop a clear vision for the future of the organization that is balanced with realism
- A collaborator and consensus builder who can work effectively and positively with a variety of stakeholders
- Quick and clear thinking, calm under pressure, and tactful in resolving issues with diverging opinions and competing demands
- Approachable, politically astute leader with a management style that quickly fosters trust, loyalty, respect, commitment, and partnership from the community, cities, the County, and federal/state/regional agencies
- A strong financial manager who also has the knowledge and ability to identify, pursue and secure potential funding sources for C/CAG programs
- Experienced manager with sound understanding of California transportation planning agencies, Congestion Management Agencies, transportation programming, processes and funding
- Effective speaker to diverse audiences, including the Board, professional, civic, legislative and citizen groups
- Relationship builder who can effectively represent C/CAG to other agencies, public bodies, including federal/state/regional agencies and the California Legislature
- Current experience and established relationships with C/CAG stakeholders (Cities, County, Regional and State)
The Executive Director selected for this position must be a strong leader and consensus builder with the ability to foster and maintain a collaborative environment for the 21 C/CAG member agencies; have a wide range of experience and skills in multi-modal transportation planning, funding, programming and project delivery, as well as in stormwater pollution prevention management; have an understanding of all aspects of transportation and mobility management, stormwater management, environmental resiliency and sustainability, housing and economic development; and have strong organizational and administrative abilities in the areas of fiscal and budget management, personnel management, Board of Directors and committee meeting support, transportation funding and public project financing and project delivery, as well as advocacy for federal/state/regional/local funding for C/CAG and for San Mateo County agencies.
Education & Experience: A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be: 1) a four-year college or university degree in civil or transportation engineering, urban or regional planning, environmental science, public or business administration, public policy or a related field; and 2) ten years of executive/senior management or administrative experience in a municipal or public agency setting. Possession of a post-baccalaureate degree is a plus.
To apply for this outstanding career opportunity, the following materials must be electronically submitted by Monday, April 5, 2021 at 11:59 PM PST:
- Cover Letter that includes:
1.) A summary of your qualifications for this position, specifically your executive leadership, financial, budget and personnel management experience
2.) A specific example that best demonstrates your ability to facilitate and achieve consensus among parties with diverse interests; and
3.) A summary of your background directly related to C/CAG programs and stakeholders
Send your application materials via e-mail to Ramla Javed at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “C/CAG DIRECTOR” on the subject line of your e-mail.
All submitted materials should be in PDF format. Electronic confirmation acknowledging receipt of your application materials will be forwarded to you upon receipt of your application materials. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
To learn more about this amazing career opportunity, read our job posting and online brochure at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sanmateo/jobs/3016382/executive-director-c-cag-city-county-association-of-governments-in-san-mateo-c?page=3&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs