As established leaders in the field, travel behavior forecasting is one of our most important and highly valued services across multiple project areas. We take a creative and intuitive approach to our forecasting work, focusing on applying a wide range of tools and models to answer pressing planning questions for our clients. Our Bay Area team is seeking an experienced Travel Behavior Forecaster to be a part of the Fehr & Peers culture focused on innovation and the use of technology and data to improve communities and advance the state of the practice.
This position offers the opportunity to partner with metropolitan planning organizations (MPOs), municipalities, transit planning agencies (including BART and Caltrain), and major technology and civil engineering firms to help shape transportation futures. Internally, the forecaster will work with multiple project managers and teams across our nationwide offices, serving as a valuable company-wide resource and mentor for developing travel behavior forecasters. Beyond these professional aspects, we also offer a collaborative, inclusive, and flexible work environment with excellent benefits and professional development opportunities. The right candidate will have strengths in:
- Developing creative approaches with the ability to think critically, adjust to unique situations, and provide customized solutions and approaches using a wide range of travel behavior tools and models.
- Mentoring staff and building company-wide resources using established experience, skills, and training capabilities to enhance our strong forecasting services.
- Communicating highly technical and complex processes and solutions clearly to clients, fellow staff members, and trainees.
We are seeking an experienced and motivated Travel Behavior Forecaster to serve in any one of our Bay Area offices (Oakland, San Francisco, Walnut Creek, or San Jose). The ideal candidate will be a strong collaborator, a critical thinker, and have the ability to understand and describe complex analysis in intuitive ways.
- Analyze and solve complex transportation planning or engineering problems dealing with all travel modes
- Use Cube, TransCAD, VISUM, and other related software programs effectively, and make timely and informed recommendations to elected officials, managers, and other decision-makers
- Manage projects and develop high-quality internal and client relationships
- Mentor and train staff to become accomplished forecasters
- Apply knowledge of the theory, principles, and practices of transportation planning, travel demand forecasting, travel behavior analysis, and data analysis
- Think both critically and intuitively through the progression of projects to clearly understand the results and identify insights as to how they are important to the big picture in each unique project
- Participate in travel forecasting research through our Forecasting and Operations discipline group
- Prepare papers and presentations for technical conferences
- 5+ years of experience in task management of travel behavior forecasting work
- Experience with travel demand modeling software, including Cube, TransCAD, VISUM, and Emme
- Project management experience for forecasting projects
- Experience with estimation, development, and application of four-step travel demand models, tour-based models, and activity-based models, including knowledge of basic statistical concepts and data analysis techniques
- Comfort with working beyond the model: understanding limitations, applying the big picture, and generating innovative ideas
- Clear and concise communication skills, with strong writing, verbal, non-verbal, and presentation skills
- Ability to communicate the results of complex analysis to clients in appealing and intuitive ways
- Proactive and responsible attitude, with the ability to be detail-oriented, take ownership of tasks, effectively juggle priorities, and collaborate regularly
- Familiarity with Synchro, VISSIM, Excel, and scripting languages (Python, R, VBA)
- Proficiency in spatial analysis techniques and software, including ArcGIS and QGIS
- Experience with statistical analysis techniques
- Master’s or bachelor’s degree in transportation or civil engineering, or a related major
- Professional license or certification preferred (e.g., PE, AICP, PTP)