$6,384 – $9,138 / Month
The Department of Housing is a catalyst for increasing access to high-quality affordable housing for households earning a variety of incomes, and supporting related community development activities, so that housing and robust services exist for people of all income levels and ages in San Mateo County. The Department consists of two divisions, Housing and Community Development (HCD) and the Housing Authority of the County of San Mateo.
Reporting to the HCD Supervisor and HCD Housing Program Manager, the Housing and Community Development Specialist II/III position will engage in a variety of functions aimed at increasing the supply of affordable housing throughout San Mateo County and forging partnerships to address critical housing needs. A portion of the job duties will be more programmatic in nature and will require the Specialist to provide a variety of program support services, including developing program objectives, preparing Notices of Funding Availability (NOFAs), evaluating project proposals and underwriting, understanding and applying HUD and other program regulations, managing the Department’s role in facilitating affordable housing developments, preparing contract documents, monitoring the progress of funding recipients, and providing technical assistance to and working with community groups on housing-related issues. Other job duties will be more policy-oriented and will require the Specialist to provide a variety of policy and partnership support to the Department of Housing and its interagency and private partners, nonprofit and for-profit, to support housing initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Three years of progressively advanced skills and experience with CDBG/HOME programs (or three years of experience with CDBG/HOME and an advanced college degree)
- Three years of progressively advanced skills and experience with affordable housing policies and programs (or three years of experience with affordable housing policies and programs and an advanced college degree)
- Strong program and project management skills
- Some familiarity with other federal and state housing finance programs such as Low-Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC)
- A basic understanding of affordable housing finance and underwriting
- A basic understanding of the complexities of housing development, land use and affordable housing financing issues
- Knowledge of issues related to urban planning and equitable community development
- Knowledge of programs for facilitating and subsidizing low and moderate income housing
- Experience in community outreach and partnership development
- A solid track record of demonstrated accomplishments and innovative and proactive problem-solving skills
- A solid track record of successful collaborative leadership efforts with teams and groups
- A positive attitude and sense of humor
- An ability to embrace change with initiative, flexibility and enthusiasm
- Effective written and oral communication skills
Candidates with an advanced education degree or training in housing, housing finance, public policy, urban planning, sustainable development, or related field are strongly encouraged to apply.
- HCD Specialist II: Two years of experience in community development project coordination, economic development or loan application preparation and processing
- HCD Specialist III: Three years of experience in a housing and community development program that has included responsibility for financing, community development or economic development projects
Final Filing Date: December 11, 2018
To learn more about the position and to apply online, please visit our website at http://jobs.smcgov.org. Applications are only accepted online. EOE