Summary: Seeking a detail-oriented, self-motivated and creative person to undertake a broad range of housing policy, planning, and finance functions. Some of the projects we work on include legislative analyses, inclusionary zoning programs, Consolidated Plans, Housing Elements, housing policy creation, housing program development, and market studies.
Support an array of clients from government entities to nonprofits, working as an integral part of our team focused on a variety of activities. The ideal candidate will be intellectually curious, concerned about social equity, and passionate about helping underserved communities. Deep knowledge of California housing and planning laws a plus. Must be team-oriented and an excellent internal and external communicator. The position reports to the Housing Policy and Finance Team Lead.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities may include the following on the list below, and other duties may be assigned.
- Help create and apply industry-leading solutions to the most challenging strategic and organizational issues facing our clients.
- Act as a project lead to coordinate activities, meet deadlines, create and deliver high quality products within budget and time limitations.
- Provide training and technical assistance on a variety of topics related to housing.
- Facilitate client meetings as well as larger stakeholder meetings.
- Speak publicly at various committees, meetings, and/or conferences and represent the Company at events and meetings.
- Build and/or maintain relationships with key stakeholders.
- Keep up-to-date on trends and policy changes in the areas of housing markets, affordable housing, supportive housing, homelessness, sustainable communities, strategic planning, and community engagement.
- Organize, manage, and synthesize qualitative and quantitative data.
- Perform research and summarize findings in formal reports, including narrative, table and presentation (e.g., PowerPoint) formats. Research to include federal, state, and local policy issues, as well as planning documents, budgets, fees and legislation.
- Write and edit content for requests for proposals/qualifications.
- Engage prospective clients for new business and discuss new opportunities with the housing policy and finance team.
- Assist with marketing materials as needed, including website content, strategic communication tasks and updating company social media platforms.
- Write and edit content for company newsletters.
- Assemble and maintain professional collateral materials to support business development efforts.
- Manage budgets, teams, and subcontractors, ensuring that productivity is in line for projects to be completed in a timely manner.
- Travel in California and other locations as needed.
Core Position Competencies
- Knowledge of:
a. Policy issues and legislative processes related to housing, homelessness and urban development.
b. Public sector funding mechanisms and programs with emphasis on housing, homelessness, human services and rental assistance programs.
c. The affordable and supportive housing industry and key players.
d. The public sector approval process.
- Ability to:
a. Perform research and writing tasks at an advanced/graduate level.
b. Organize work, set priorities and exercise sound judgment within areas of responsibility.
c. Address and prioritize multiple deadlines and deliverables.
d. Take direction and work within deadlines in support of CEO and senior staff.
e. Communicate clearly and effectively orally and in writing.
f. Maintain an appearance appropriate to a professional services firm.
- Client, Project, and Team Management
a. Organize work, set priorities and exercise sound judgment within areas of responsibility.
b. Remain calm and effective while working under pressure to meet multiple deadlines and short time constraints.
c. Handle sensitive information in a professional and confidential manner.
d. Establish priorities and meet multiple deadlines.
e. Engage stakeholders and lead internal project teams effectively.
f. A true team player who is collaborative, flexible and able to deal with ambiguity.
Education/Experience: Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major
course work in planning, public policy, social work, business, or other relevant degree and at least
five years of related and increasingly responsible experience.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly
required to sit, use hands, communicate via telephone, reach with hands and arms. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Application Process: Submit the following materials to Careers@lesardevelopment.com. No phone calls, please.
- Cover Letter