Located at the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay, the City of Milpitas is a dynamic community that is an integral part of the high tech Silicon Valley. With a much diversified resident population of 75,212, Milpitas features quality schools, conveniently located neighborhood parks and shopping centers. The role of every employee is to be committed to accomplishing the community’s vision by providing fiscally sound, superior services.
You will be joining a community of 329 professional employees as diverse as the city they support. We are privileged to have such a unique workforce and to foster an environment that encourages those differences. We believe in supporting our employees’ abilities and desires for professional growth, to better support retention and commitment throughout all career stages. Milpitas employees are proud and know that their contributions make a difference to the community as well as to their own career. We encourage you to check us out: http://www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov/
Under general direction, assist the Planning Manager and participate in overseeing departmental programs; perform professional planning work of considerable difficulty in the field of urban planning; and supervise and train professional and technical staff as assigned.
What You Will Do
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Plan, organize, and supervise the work of other staff and/or programs.
- Analyze and coordinate the preparation of reports and recommendations on zoning matters, design review, housing ordinance interpretations and modifications, variances, subdivisions, and environmental review activities.
- Review and direct the preparation of special planning, zoning, and environmental studies.
- Administer consultant contracts.
- Represent the Planning function and the City as a whole and make presentations at City Council,
- Planning Commission, and other public meetings, as required.
- Coordinate planning and housing activities with other City departments and outside agencies.
- May assist in the preparation and administration of the planning functions budget.
- Perform specialized and complex aspects of professional planning.
- May be called upon to act as the Planning Manager when the Planning Manager is unavailable.
- Administer processes related to the General Plan, zoning, housing, subdivision, and sign ordinances.
- Oversee the maintenance of detailed socio-economic data, relevant statistics, and division mapping;
- Coordinate and participate in the computerization of planning statistics and records.
- May be required to set-up and supervise the establishment of new systems to create Planning efficiencies.
- May supervise, train, and evaluate professional, technical, and clerical staff.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Experience and Education
Equivalent to completion of Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban planning, regional planning, housing, or a closely related field. AND Five years of professional experience in the field of planning with exposure to the various specialties within the field including: current, long range, environmental, housing, and transportation. Some exposure to management of staff and/or major programs.
License and Other Requirements
Possess and maintain throughout employment an appropriate, valid California Driver’s License.
Essential duties require the following physical abilities and work environment:
Ability to work in a standard office environment; able to travel to various locations within and outside the City of Milpitas.
Submit application, supplemental questions (if applicable), resume, copies of required certificates (if applicable) online at www.calopps.org or to the Human Resources Department, City of Milpitas, 455 E. Calaveras Blvd, Milpitas, CA 95035, (408) 586-3090. A complete job description is available on the City of Milpitas website: www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov (under Classification and Compensation) or from Human Resources.
The City reserves the right to close or re-open the recruitment at any time. Incomplete and/or inaccurate application materials may result in disqualification from the recruitment process. Candidates will receive all communications by email regarding the recruitment process, which includes, but is not limited to, application status, testing dates, and interview scheduling. If you require alternate communications, please contact Human Resources at (408) 586-3090.
The City provides an excellent array of benefits that includes the following. This position is represented by the Protech bargaining group. Benefits Information is available online at:
The City of Milpitas is an Equal Opportunity/ADA employer. Reasonable accommodation in the application, examination, and selection process will be made upon request to Human Resources at (408) 586-3090. The information contained in this announcement does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract and these provisions are subject to change.