The Napa Sonoma ADU Center seeks an energetic and entrepreneurial Director to deliver and coordinate a range of services for local homeowners in collaboration with nonprofit, government, and private sector partners in order to increase the number of Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU) built in Napa and Sonoma Counties.
The new ADU Center’s goal is to rapidly increase the supply of housing in Napa and Sonoma counties, particularly affordable housing, by making it easier for homeowners to move from thought to action on Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs). The Center will provide virtual and in-person services to help homeowners design, build, and lease ADUs throughout Napa and Sonoma Counties. A particular emphasis will be placed on incentivizing ADU development for use as rental units in order to increase the supply of affordable housing.
The ADU Center is a fiscally-sponsored project of Napa Valley Community Foundation (NVCF), with funding from NVCF, Community Foundation Sonoma County, and several local jurisdictions (i.e. city, town or county government). To date, the partners have funded focus groups with homeowners, a study on the potential market for ADU development in both counties, and convenings of Napa and Sonoma jurisdictions to improve ADU-related policies and practices. Findings from this work were used to develop a website for interested homeowners (www.NapaSonomaADU.org), an accompanying workbook (still under construction), as well as the initial plan for ADU Center services and staffing. An ADU Steering Committee with representatives from both counties has been established to guide the center’s work and oversee this position.
The ADU Center Director will report to NVCF’s Vice President of Community Impact for day-to-day operations, and work with the ADU Steering Committee in matters of strategic direction and longer-term planning. The ADU Steering Committee is a cross-sector volunteer committee comprised of nonprofit, philanthropic, government and private sector representatives. This is a full-time, exempt temporary position, which is envisioned to be in place for two to three years. Hours and work locations are flexible with the expectation of spending a portion of each week at offices in the cities of Napa and Santa Rosa, and the ability to work from home on other days if desired.
Key Areas of Responsibility
1. Homeowner Outreach & Education
• Provide outreach and education to homeowners to help them move from general interest in the concept of ADUs to taking steps towards building one
• Maintain and update website, workbooks, and other educational materials
• Develop and facilitate frequent workshops and presentations, including a semi-annual ADU expo
2. ADU Technical Assistance Coordination
• Recruit and coordinate a cadre of housing industry professionals who can provide feasibility assessments and other direct technical assistance (TA) to homeowners
• Develop and maintain a vetted list of ADU-related vendors (from mortgage brokers and appraisers to contractors and designers to prefab ADU companies) to provide additional resources for homeowners
• Schedule and ensure completion of at least 50 feasibility assessments in the first year of the Center’s operations across the two counties
3. ADU Process Improvements and Trouble Shooting
• Identify a liaison at each local jurisdiction and build a working relationship
• In partnership with TA providers, problem-solve around specific ADU policies, processes, and projects
• Work with each jurisdiction to improve the ADU experience for both planning/building staff and homeowners
4. ADU Leasing Support
• Work with nonprofit partner(s) to design and implement tenant recruitment and placement services for rentals to tenants at below Area Median Income (AMI)
• Work with local government to identify and access existing rental subsidy programs, like Section 8 and others
• Identify vendors for property management services for any interested ADU homeowners
5. ADU Advisory Committees
• Staff ADU Steering Committee to develop project goals and strategies, track progress, and adapt design and service offerings as needed
• Establish and coordinate a second committee of housing and development professionals to advise on the provision of technical assistance to homeowners
6. Program Design & Evaluation
• Develop and track specific program goals and metrics
• Pilot and test a variety of strategies and incentives to homeowners to lease ADUs at below market rates to qualifying tenants, modifying as needed
• Share results and learnings
The ideal candidate will be passionate about housing and making a positive impact on the Bay Area’s housing crisis. They will be enthusiastic about ADUs, customer service-oriented, collaborative, creative, entrepreneurial and nimble. We are particularly interested in candidates with strong experience working in the housing industry, an understanding of the housing landscape and key players in Napa and Sonoma Counties, and exemplary project management, relationship building and communications skills. The ideal candidate also will have experience interfacing and building relationships with cross-sector partners, including nonprofit organizations, businesses, and local jurisdictions.
Desired qualifications include:
• At least 5 years of relevant professional experience, ideally in nonprofit, government, and/or private sector housing-related organizations
• Excellent customer service and relationship building skills with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders
• Strong presentation and facilitation skills with demonstrated experience working with smaller coalitions and addressing larger audiences
• Marketing and events coordination aptitude and experience
• Proven project management skills and the ability to handle multiple simultaneous tasks and develop work plans and systems to ensure project accountability
• Keen research, analytic, organization and problem-solving skills
• Experience working with a volunteer governing body
• Proficiency in Microsoft Suite of software programs, experience with databases and developing data tracking systems
• Experience with website management, email platforms and social media
• Must have reliable transportation and willingness to travel throughout both counties, including some evening and weekend events
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that we will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis – please submit your letter of interest as soon as possible, but definitely by February 7, 2020.
Napa Valley Community Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ persons, bilingual/bicultural people, people of different levels of physical ability, and all qualified persons to apply for this position.