PlaceWorks has an immediate need for an entry-level planner to join the Environmental Team. The candidate selected for this position could be based in any of our office locations. We are looking for individuals with 0 – 3+ years of professional experience (such as through an internship) related to planning, who have an interest in environmental planning and environmental analysis—we are willing to train! The ideal candidate has excellent writing and critical thinking skills, and is self-starting, outgoing, and passionate about helping shape and improve communities and the environment through their work. We work in a wide array of communities throughout California, and we encourage diverse candidates from non-traditional backgrounds to apply.
Working in a collaborative and casual work environment under the guidance of skilled project managers and other senior staff, this planner will assist in the preparation and processing of environmental documents and with other aspects of the CEQA process to contribute to the successful completion of projects at a variety of scales, often working concurrently on more than one project. Our environmental planning practice encompasses a variety of private and public sector project work, including environmental review of general and specific plans, schools, parks, mixed-use development, commercial centers, and infrastructure projects.
You’re most likely a fit if:
- You love planning for the future of communities and making a difference with your work.
- You are familiar with or are genuinely interested in learning the CEQA process, CEQA and NEPA compliance, and technical writing and analysis of environmental documents and impact analysis for initial studies and EIRs.
- You’re a self-starter who can work both independently and in a highly collaborative environment, including a virtual, work from home environment when needed.
- You have excellent writing, formatting, and proofreading skills and are detail-oriented.
- You’re a skilled researcher and enjoy analyzing and compiling research and data as required by a project.
- You have strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
- Engaging with the public excites you, and you’re willing to jump-in to help with outreach efforts. You may be asked to coordinate meetings, prepare and assemble materials/supplies, present, and/or facilitate discussions at workshops.
- You’re able to attend and travel to client meetings and community workshops which may occur on weekday nights and weekends (when this can be done safely and is allowed under local health regulations).
- You have professional acumen to cultivate working relationships with clients, community-based organizations, and other firms.
- Multi-tasking is second nature and you can produce final project documents, products, and reports by stated deadlines.
- You’re interested in assisting with marketing, business development, and proposal efforts for environmental work.
- You have a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in urban, regional, environmental, or natural resource planning; land use or environmental law; environmental studies or sciences; political science; public administration; or related field.
- You have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
- You have a current and valid driver’s license and acceptable MVR to drive on Company business for performing site visits and attending meetings.
To be considered for this opportunity, submit your cover letter, resume, and a writing sample as a single PDF (no greater than 10MB) with the email subject line, “Entry-level Environmental Planner” to email@example.com. In your email or cover letter, please specify which office location you are interested in.
Based in California, PlaceWorks is one of the premier planning, design, and environmental services firms in the U.S. The firm’s expertise and services span a wide range of practices, including city planning, urban design, landscape architecture, environmental review, GIS, and community participation. Our interdisciplinary, holistic approach integrates sustainability, economic vitality, community goals, and collaboration with our clients in the planning and design process. We are passionate about our work and together with our clients, will continue to create great places. To learn more about the work we do, please visit our website: http://placeworks.com/.
To our employees, we offer interesting and diverse project work; a casual, collaborative, and flexible work environment; training, professional development, and career growth opportunities; a comprehensive benefits package (for full-time employees); and the chance to work amongst industry leaders, practice area founders, and friendly, supportive, and dedicated colleagues.
PlaceWorks is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions at PlaceWorks are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, military and veteran status, physical or mental disability, or any other status covered by applicable federal, state, or local law.