ABOUT THE POSITION
PlaceWorks is seeking a full-time, entry-level Planner to become part of the Environmental Team in our Berkeley Office. We are seeking individuals with approximately 0 – 3 years of professional experience (such as through an internship) related to planning, who have an interest in environmental planning and environmental analysis. The ideal candidate has excellent writing and critical thinking skills and is passionate, creative, energetic, and deeply committed to the environmental services profession, and is engaged in using their skills for the betterment of communities and the environment. Under the guidance of project managers and other senior staff, Planners work concurrently on more than one project to assist project teams and other staff members on the successful completion of projects at a variety of scales. Our environmental planning practice encompasses a variety of private and public sector project work including environmental review of: general and specific plans, schools, parks, mixed-use development, commercial centers, and infrastructure projects.
This position’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Researching, compiling data, reviewing, analyzing, and writing documents related to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
- Processing data and writing impact analysis for initial studies and environmental impact reports (EIRs).
- Applying planning knowledge to produce documents, coordinate presentation materials, write proposals and reports, and conduct research related to the project.
- Writing, formatting, and proof-reading sections of proposals, statements of qualifications, marketing material, and project documents (including editing materials from sub-consultants).
- Performing site visits as needed.
- Preparing meeting materials, assembling and setting up outreach supplies, taking notes, and facilitating small group discussions at community meetings (these meetings may occur on weekday nights and weekends).
The ideal candidate will possess the following key qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in urban, regional, environmental or natural resource planning; land use or environmental law; environmental science; or, related field. Master’s degree in related field is a plus.
- Minimum of 1-year related experience performing the responsibilities listed above.
- Excellent writing, research, and analytical skills.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- High attention to detail.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) and ArcGIS.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task with project work and meet stated deadlines.
- Able to work independently and in a highly collaborative environment with other team members.
TO APPLY: To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume, and a writing sample as a single PDF (no greater than 10MB) with the email subject line, “Berkeley: Entry-Level Environmental Planner” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PlaceWorks is a California based multi-disciplinary firm of planning, design, and environmental services professionals. Our expertise and services span a broad range of practices including: city planning, urban design, landscape architecture, environmental review, GIS, and community participation. We have a strong commitment to sustainable planning and design and to improving and empowering underserved urban and rural communities and the natural environment. Our work is driven by environmental stewardship and meaningful public participation in the planning and design process. Learn more about the work we do and how we do it at: www.placeworks.com
PlaceWorks offers employees interesting and diverse project work; training, professional development, and career growth opportunities; work-life balance; and, the chance to work amongst industry leaders, practice area founders, and friendly, supportive, and dedicated colleagues. We offer a competitive salary, generous benefits, and a casual and collaborative work environment.
PlaceWorks is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions at PlaceWorks are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, military and veteran status, physical or mental disability, or any other status covered by applicable federal, state, or local law.