PlaceWorks has an immediate need for a full-time entry-level planner to join our Planning team in Berkeley or Sacramento, California. We are looking for an individual with 1 – 4 years of professional experience related to planning (including through an internship or fellowship) who is fluent in Spanish, and who is creative, outgoing, self-starting, and passionate about helping shape and improve communities through their work. We work in a wide array of communities throughout Northern California and the Central Valley, and we encourage diverse candidates from non-traditional backgrounds to apply.
Working in a collaborative and casual work environment under the guidance of skilled project managers and other senior staff, this planner will assist project teams by applying planning knowledge and technical skills to contribute to the successful completion of projects at a variety of scales, often working concurrently on more than one project. Typical projects of our planning practice include general and specific plans, master plans, zoning, housing policy, urban revitalization/infill, and local/regional transportation plans, as well as community engagement.
You’re most likely a fit if:
- You love planning for the future of communities and making a difference with your work.
- You are fluent in Spanish and can translate at community workshops/public meetings as well as for documents.
- You can work both independently and in a highly collaborative environment, including a virtual, work from home environment when needed.
- You have strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
- You have excellent writing, formatting, and proofreading skills and are detail-oriented.
- Supporting authentic engagement with diverse communities excites you, and you’re willing to jump in to help with outreach efforts. You may be asked to coordinate events or meetings, prepare and assemble materials/supplies, and talk to community members virtually (for now) and in person (when safe).
- You can support and be part of virtual engagement events through platforms like Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and similar.
- You’re able to attend and travel to client meetings and community workshops which may occur on weekday nights and weekends (when this can be done safely and is allowed under local health regulations).
- You have professional acumen to cultivate working relationships with clients, community-based organizations, and other firms.
- You enjoy using your technical skills to create graphics, maps, plan documents, proposals, and presentations that communicate ideas simply and clearly.
- You enjoy analyzing and compiling research and data as required by a project.
- You can manage your time to produce final project documents and products by stated deadlines. You can work effectively on multiple projects at once.
- You’re interested in assisting with marketing, business development, and proposal efforts for planning and outreach work.
- You have a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in urban or regional planning, or related field.
- You are proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
- You’re experienced with ArcGIS and Adobe Creative Suite (not required, but these skills are a huge plus!)
To learn more about PlaceWorks and to apply for this position, please visit our website: http://placeworks.com/join-our-team/job-100/.