PlaceWorks is searching for an entry-level Planner/GIS Analyst to become part of the Planning team. The candidate selected for this position could be based in any of our office locations. We are looking for an individual with 1 – 3 years of professional or internship experience related to planning and GIS, who is creative, outgoing, self-starting, and passionate about helping shape and improve communities through their work. We work in a wide array of communities throughout California, and we encourage diverse candidates from non-traditional backgrounds to apply.
Working in a collaborative and casual work environment under the guidance of skilled project managers and other senior staff, this position will assist project teams by applying planning knowledge and technical skills to contribute to the successful completion of projects at a variety of scales, often working concurrently on more than one project. Typical projects of our planning practice include general and specific plans, master plans, zoning, housing policy, urban revitalization/infill, and local/regional transportation plans, as well as community engagement.
You’re most likely a fit if:
- You love planning for the future of communities and making a difference with your work.
- You’re a self-starter who can work both independently and in a highly collaborative environment, including a virtual, work from home environment when needed.
- You have strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
- You have excellent writing, formatting, and proofreading skills and are detail-oriented.
- Supporting authentic engagement with diverse communities excites you, and you’re willing to jump-in to help with outreach efforts. You may be asked to coordinate events or meetings, prepare and assemble materials/supplies, and talk to community members virtually and/or in person.
- You can support and be part of virtual engagement events through platforms like Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and similar.
- You’re able to attend and travel to client meetings and community workshops which may occur on weekday nights and weekends.
- You have strong problem-solving skills and can troubleshoot and solve issues that may arise on specific tasks.
- You have professional acumen to cultivate working relationships with clients, community-based organizations, and other firms.
- You enjoy using your technical skills to create graphics, maps, plan documents, proposals, and presentations.
- You’re a skilled researcher and enjoy analyzing and compiling research and data as required by a project.
- Time management is second nature and you can produce final project documents and products by stated deadlines. You can work effectively on multiple projects at once.
- You’re interested in assisting with marketing, business development, and proposal efforts for planning work.
- You’re proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint), Adobe Creative Suite, and ArcGIS.
- You have a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in urban or regional planning, GIS, or closely related field.
To apply, please visit: http://placeworks.com/join-our-team/job-97-entry-plnr-gis/.