PlaceWorks is searching for an entry-level Planner/GIS Analyst to become part of the Planning team. The candidate selected for this position could be based in any of our office locations. We are looking for an individual with 1 – 3 years of professional or internship experience related to planning and GIS, who is creative, outgoing, self-starting, and passionate about helping shape and improve communities through their work. We work in a wide array of communities throughout California, and we encourage diverse candidates from non-traditional backgrounds to apply.
Working in a collaborative and casual work environment under the guidance of skilled project managers and other senior staff, this position will assist project teams by applying planning knowledge and technical skills to contribute to the successful completion of projects at a variety of scales, often working concurrently on more than one project. Typical projects of our planning practice include general and specific plans, master plans, zoning, housing policy, urban revitalization/infill, and local/regional transportation plans, as well as community engagement.
You’re most likely a fit if:
- You love planning for the future of communities and making a difference with your work.
- You’re a self-starter who can work both independently and in a highly collaborative environment, including a virtual, work from home environment when needed.
- You have strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
- You have excellent writing, formatting, and proofreading skills and are detail-oriented.
- Supporting authentic engagement with diverse communities excites you, and you’re willing to jump-in to help with outreach efforts. You may be asked to coordinate events or meetings, prepare and assemble materials/supplies, and talk to community members virtually (for now) and in person (when safe).
- You can support and be part of virtual engagement events through platforms like Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and similar.
- You’re able to attend and travel to client meetings and community workshops which may occur on weekday nights and weekends (when this can be done safely and is allowed under local health regulations).
- You have strong problem-solving skills and can troubleshoot and solve issues that may arise on specific tasks.
- You have professional acumen to cultivate working relationships with clients, community-based organizations, and other firms.
- You enjoy using your technical skills to create graphics, maps, plan documents, proposals, and presentations.
- You’re a skilled researcher and enjoy analyzing and compiling research and data as required by a project.
- Time management is second nature and you can produce final project documents and products by stated deadlines. You can work effectively on multiple projects at once.
- You’re interested in assisting with marketing, business development, and proposal efforts for planning work.
- You’re proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint), Adobe Creative Suite, and ArcGIS.
- You have a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in urban or regional planning, GIS, or closely related field.
To be considered for this opportunity, submit your cover letter, resume, and writing and/or design samples as a single PDF (no greater than 10MB) with the email subject line, “Entry-level Planner/GIS Analyst” to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email or cover letter, please specify which office location you are interested in.
Based in California, PlaceWorks is one of the premier planning, design, and environmental services firms in the U.S. The firm’s expertise and services span a wide range of practices, including city planning, urban design, landscape architecture, environmental review, GIS, and community participation. Our interdisciplinary, holistic approach integrates sustainability, economic vitality, community goals, and collaboration with our clients in the planning and design process. We are passionate about our work and together with our clients, will continue to create great places. To learn more about the work we do, please visit our website: http://placeworks.com/.
To our employees, we offer interesting and diverse project work; a casual, collaborative, and flexible work environment; training, professional development, and career growth opportunities; a comprehensive benefits package (for full-time employees); and the chance to work amongst industry leaders, practice area founders, and friendly, supportive, and dedicated colleagues.
PlaceWorks is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions at PlaceWorks are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, military and veteran status, physical or mental disability, or any other status covered by applicable federal, state, or local law.