PlaceWorks is seeking a mid-level planner in Sacramento to join our Housing team. We are looking for a planner with at least 4 – 6 years of professional planning experience, ideally with experience in housing, policy, and community outreach. The ideal candidate is creative, self-starting, outgoing, collaborative, and passionate about helping shape and improve communities. Supporting project managers and other senior staff, the planner will work primarily on research, report writing, analysis, and public outreach to contribute to the successful completion of projects at a variety of scales, often working concurrently on more than one project. Typical work of our team includes housing policy documents, assisting jurisdictions with accessing housing funds, assisting jurisdictions with administering housing programs, and implementing housing policy through zoning and other means. The Housing team has staff in several office locations throughout California. The person in this position would report to an Associate Principal in our Sacramento office and work with other team members around the state.
You’re most likely a fit if:
- You love planning for the future of communities and making a difference with your work.
- You have strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
- You have excellent writing, formatting, and proofreading skills and are detail-oriented.
- Engaging with the public excites you, and you’re willing to jump-in to help with outreach efforts. You may be asked to coordinate meetings, prepare and assemble materials/supplies, present, and/or facilitate discussions at workshops.
- You’re able to attend community workshops which may occur on weekday nights and weekends.
- You have professional acumen to cultivate working relationships with clients, community org’s, and other firms.
- You’re a skilled researcher and enjoy analyzing and compiling research and data as required by a project.
- Multi-tasking is second nature and you can produce final project documents and products by stated deadlines.
- You’re interested in assisting with marketing, business development, and proposal efforts for planning work.
- You are experienced and proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) and Adobe Acrobat.
- You have a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in urban or regional planning, or closely related field.
- You have a current and valid driver’s license, proof of automobile insurance, and acceptable MVR to drive on Company business for performing site visits and attending meetings.
Interested in this opportunity? To be considered, submit your cover letter, resume, and writing and/or design samples as a single PDF (no greater than 10MB) with the email subject line, “Sacramento: Mid-level Planner” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary range will be commensurate with experience. This position is open until filled.
About PlaceWorks: Based in California, PlaceWorks is one of the premier planning, design, and environmental services firms in the U.S. The firm’s expertise and services span a wide range of practices, including city planning, urban design, landscape architecture, environmental review, GIS, and community participation. Our interdisciplinary, holistic approach integrates sustainability, economic vitality, community goals, and collaboration with our clients in the planning and design process. We are passionate about our work and together with our clients, will continue to create great places.
To our employees, we offer interesting and diverse project work; a casual, collaborative, and flexible work environment; generous paid time-off and a comprehensive benefits package; training, professional development, and career growth opportunities; and the chance to work amongst industry leaders, practice area founders, and friendly, supportive, and dedicated colleagues. Learn more about our firm at: http://placeworks.com/.
PlaceWorks is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions at PlaceWorks are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, military and veteran status, physical or mental disability, or any other status covered by applicable federal, state, or local law.