PlaceWorks is seeking a planner to work out of our Berkeley office to lead and grow the Bicycle, Pedestrian, and Mobility Planning practice. We are looking for an individual with at least 7-10 years’ experience at a management level with bicycle, pedestrian, and multimodal planning, as well as an interest in and ability to support our existing practice in complete streets and green streets planning and design. The ideal candidate is creative, outgoing, self-starting, and passionate about helping shape and improve communities through their work. The person in this new position will work collaboratively with our ATP staff in other offices, and our diverse team of planners, landscape architects, GIS staff, and environmental staff.
You’re most likely a fit if:
- You have expertise and interest in physical planning and design, and are experienced with developing pedestrian plans, bicycle plans, and mobility plans throughout California.
- You are experienced with leading or advising in the development of mobility sections of comprehensive planning and urban design documents, such as general plans and specific plans throughout California.
- Multi-tasking is second nature and you have successful experience managing major components of planning/design projects of all sizes within budget and schedule—you’ll be responsible for managing and coordinating complete streets and green streets projects in Northern California (note that our existing staff has capabilities to complete urban design and landscape architecture work).
- You are excited about, and capable of leading marketing efforts for complete streets work in Northern California (in collaboration with our other senior complete streets staff) and helping advance business development efforts in active transportation and complete streets statewide (in collaboration with our Southern California senior bicycle, pedestrian, and mobility planning staff).
- You have strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills, and solid client communication abilities.
- You’re comfortable with public speaking and presenting—you’ll be expected to represent PlaceWorks at job interviews and to coordinate and conduct presentations at community workshops.
- You’re able to attend community workshops which may occur on weekday nights and weekends.
- You are genuinely interested in working with junior staff and overseeing workflow and successful project execution.
- You have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint). Additional proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, ArcGIS, and AutoCAD is desirable but not required.
Interested in this opportunity?
To be considered, submit your cover letter, resume, and writing and/or design samples as a single PDF (no greater than 10MB) with the email subject line, “Berkeley: Senior-level Bicycle, Pedestrian, and Mobility Planner” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Salary range and title will be commensurate with experience.
About PlaceWorks: Based in California, PlaceWorks is one of the premier planning, design, and environmental services firms in the U.S. The firm’s expertise and services span a wide range of practices, including city planning, urban design, landscape architecture, environmental review, GIS, and community participation. Our interdisciplinary, holistic approach integrates sustainability, economic vitality, community goals, and collaboration with our clients in the planning and design process. We are passionate about our work, and together with our clients, will continue to create great places. To our employees, we offer interesting and diverse project work; a casual, collaborative, and flexible work environment; a comprehensive benefits package; training, professional development, and career growth opportunities; and the chance to work amongst industry leaders, practice area founders, and friendly, supportive, and dedicated colleagues. Learn more about the work we do and how we do it at: http://placeworks.com/.
PlaceWorks is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions at PlaceWorks are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, military and veteran status, physical or mental disability, or any other status covered by applicable federal, state, or local law.